walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Right to roam

Right to roam

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:45 am

gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: Right to roam

Postby dav2930 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:20 am

gammy leg walker wrote:http://parkswatchscotland.co.uk/2020/07/09/covid-19-is-being-used-to-undermine-the-right-to-camp-in-scotland/

An incisive and well thought out article concerning some very troubling issues. Yes, the outdoor community needs to stand united against what is happening here, exercising its democratic rights. Thanks for posting.
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:52 pm

I agree that the notion that it's ok to visit pubs and beer gardens, but not to wild camp is utterly bonkers.

However, I'm not entirely convinced there's much of a story here tbh.

I certainly dont see any sinister creeping movement to deny people the right to roam.

The 'right to roam' (including the right to wild camp) responsibly is enshrined in law. Arguably the most liberal outdoors access legislation anywhere in the world.

There have always been niggles and organisations / vested interests pushing agin that right.

Once the pandemic is over (and it will be), existing right to roam will still be there.
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:49 pm

The current situation is confusing to say the least. Car sharing is still generally illegal I believe.
What about wild camping? Did that become legal or acceptable from the 3rd of July. Cairngorm NP were saying no wild camping allowed after the 3rd of July had passed. :?
Sunset tripper

Postby Border Reiver » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:59 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:The current situation is confusing to say the least. Car sharing is still generally illegal I believe.
What about wild camping? Did that become legal or acceptable from the 3rd of July. Cairngorm NP were saying no wild camping allowed after the 3rd of July had passed. :?
Well, judging by the webcam at Loch Morlich early each morning, quite a few people don't seem to care for that rule. Right now, 11.00pm, I can see a number of fires burning along the beach. Personally, I don't think the National Park or any Authority will be worried about those who carry their tents miles into the hills and who leave no trace of ever being there.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby KatTai » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:20 am

Sunset tripper wrote:The current situation is confusing to say the least. Car sharing is still generally illegal I believe.

Wild camping is now permitted in line with the opening of other holiday accommodation :)
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby Marty_JG » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:23 am

Scottish Car Sharing advice was updated on the 10th July:

Car Sharing

You should only travel with members of your own, or extended, household. We recognise that there may be occasions when there is no alternative but to travel with people out with your household. On such occasions, you should:

• share the transport with the same people each time
  • keep to small groups of people at any one
  • maintain good ventilation by keeping the car windows open if possible
  • ask everyone to wear face-coverings
  • clean your hands before and after your journey
  • if the vehicle is your responsibility, clean the door handles and other areas that people touch.

https://www.transport.gov.scot/coronavirus-covid-19/transport-transition-plan/advice-on-how-to-travel-safely/
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:53 pm

Kat Tai, Border Reiver and Marty JG, thanks for the info. Its hard to keep up with all the different laws, advice and guidance. :roll:
I had thought wild camping got the go ahead earlier than the 15th but good news anyway that it is no longer frowned upon, though the tents I have seen along the roadside in the last 2 weeks are doing us no favours. :(
Sunset tripper

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion