walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

‘New walkers’ on the hills.

Re: ‘New walkers’ on the hills.

Postby maxie23 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:01 pm

tweedledog wrote:Last Wednesday there were no less than 11 cars parked nose to tail along the narrow B8077 at the normal starting point for Beinn a'Chochuill and Beinn Eunaich. Several were poorly parked including one directly opposite the estate access gate making it all but impossible to get a large vehicle or a trailer in and out. I was on my way to Oban and reached this mess just as a big lorry arrived from the other direction inching its way past the cars with literally only inches to spare. It took me some fiddly reversing to clear a way for it. Maybe I should have just raked along that car opposite the entrance that I backed into. Parking all together like that wasn't even necessary. There are various points along the road where there's a little more room. My guess is that this was a walking group - they seem to often come on Wednesdays - who were unable to do their usual car sharing because of distancing precautions. On Saturday, however, things were largely back to normal when I went that way for a walk. A few cars, sensibly parked. Hopefully this normality will be restored next Wednesday.
I must admit that I drove to Oban in full Victor Meldrew mode over the poor parking. It only requires a little thought, especially opposite a gate....

I was one of the walkers on these hills on Wednesday. When I arrived at 07.00 I managed to park in the small lay by just next to the river bridge. There was only one other car parked there at that time, a fellow W.H. called John. I arrived back at the car at 13.45 and there were cars parked everywhere. I did think at the time that if a tractor or large vehicle came along there would be a few scratched vehicles. I met or passed 22 people on the hills, no large groups just single walkers or couples.
I met one young chap on the summit of Beinn a'Chochuill who had just ran around the Cruachan horseshoe and was doing these two to finish his day. God did I feel old.
maxie23

Munros:67   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   

Postby mynthdd2 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:54 pm

Not getting this at all - I go to the mountains/hills for peace and quiet so why the honey pots? I really do not want to hear others on the hills chatting away but totally respect that some people like that.

PS If anyone wants me look to the wild places....
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:05 pm

It seems places that are an easy day trip from the central belt are very busy. I've been past Ben Wyvis car park since the 5 mile thing was no longer a consideration and before, and it was busier in phase 1.
People sticking to the rules are going to make parking areas busier. Many folk normally go out with friends and car share. Now against all previous advice people are being asked to travel alone and avoid public transport. Its inevitable car parks are going to be busier.
It makes you wonder if they are good rules. Travelling alone means more cars on the road, more accidents, more visits to petrol pumps with associated transmission risks & jammed car parks and dodgy parking tactics.

I don't know if it is in the spirit of the rules or not, but to avoid 2 cars I have (within the law and guidelines) formed a bubble with a pal to get to the hills.
It just seemed more sensible all things considered. :?
Sunset tripper

Postby al78 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:35 pm

I thought there was some hostility in Scotland toward people visiting from south of the border. Are all these rammed full car parks due to locals?
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby denfinella » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:11 am

al78 wrote:I thought there was some hostility in Scotland toward people visiting from south of the border. Are all these rammed full car parks due to locals?

I've been up around the Black Isle area since Saturday and the majority of walkers / tourists have Scottish accents. Maybe <10% with English accents and I haven't heard anyone not speaking English or seen any non-GB car license plates (except for one from Ireland).

Also for what it's worth, I have an English accent and haven't experienced any hostility. The Highlands seem as welcoming as ever :)
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby jupe1407 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:47 am

al78 wrote:I thought there was some hostility in Scotland toward people visiting from south of the border. Are all these rammed full car parks due to locals?

There isn't. Much of that was ridiculously overhyped nonsense in rags like the Express and the Scotsman trying to build a false narrative of anti-Englishness on the back of a handful of protestors at some service station near the border.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:37 am

FWIW I moved to Scotland in the mid 90s, Edinburgh, then over to Glasgow in 2005, I've retained by English "rough RP" accent and have never once encountered hostility based on my accent or background.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Islands:3

Postby al78 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:38 am

jupe1407 wrote:

There isn't. Much of that was ridiculously overhyped nonsense in rags like the Express and the Scotsman trying to build a false narrative of anti-Englishness on the back of a handful of protestors at some service station near the border.

There was the talk of Nicola Sturgeon threatening to quarantine English visitors?

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-07-12/scotland-will-not-shy-away-from-quarantine-for-english-visitors-nicola-sturgeon-says

"Nicola Sturgeon has said she will not shy away from taking a decision to impose quarantine on English visitors to Scotland, but neither will it be a decision she takes lightly.

Asked on the BBC’s Andrew Marr Show on Sunday about the possibility of self-isolation for visitors from south of the border, the First Minister said the UK nations need to work together on outbreak management in a way that “mitigates against having to put any border restrictions in place”."

Hardly makes visiting Scotland very appealing at the moment.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:35 am

jupe1407 wrote:

Totally agree, the usual nonsense from the media. You will hear some anecdotes but in reality folk from south of the border will be made welcome here similar to they are in their own country, probably moreso. No one should have any concerns about that.

al78 wrote:There was the talk of Nicola Sturgeon threatening to quarantine English visitors?

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-07-12/scotland-will-not-shy-away-from-quarantine-for-english-visitors-nicola-sturgeon-says

"Nicola Sturgeon has said she will not shy away from taking a decision to impose quarantine on English visitors to Scotland, but neither will it be a decision she takes lightly.

Asked on the BBC’s Andrew Marr Show on Sunday about the possibility of self-isolation for visitors from south of the border, the First Minister said the UK nations need to work together on outbreak management in a way that “mitigates against having to put any border restrictions in place”."

Hardly makes visiting Scotland very appealing at the moment.

I dont think travelling anywhere is extremely appealing at the moment. Americans, Portuguese & folk from Leicester
( :wink: ) have been told not to travel to England. Unfortunately travel bans can happen for any of us at anytime.

I think the big problem the right wing rags have is they don't like Scotland having a say in any of this, and try to turn it into an anti english story.
Nothing could be further from the truth and you would be very unlucky to be greeted with anything other than a warm welcome. :D

The majority of folk in the hills just now are not travelling much further than 2 or 3 hours from their home just now I would say, and that's why the hill car parks closest to the central belt are rammed while north and west of Inverness is a lot quieter.
Thats a totally unscientific survey by me of course and don't quote me on it. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:01 am

Can we keep this free of references to the constitutional politics?
Now I know folk feel strongly about it, as do I, but an outdoor/hillwaking forum is not the place for it.
Otherwise it will be yet another thread that WH will close down.
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Postby jupe1407 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:57 am

al78 wrote:Hardly makes visiting Scotland very appealing at the moment.

That's maybe a slight overreaction tbh. As i say, i feel much of the hype over this comes risible "journalism" attempting to stoke the flames of something which is at most absolutely minimal. The FM's comments regarding quarantine have been taken somewhat out of context. To read some newspapers you'd think we were building a version of Trump's wall complete with machine gun towers and searchlights.

Personally there's nothing wrong with considering quarantine an option IF the science and infection rates support such a drastic measure, much the same as any other country would.

Hopefully however the worst is over now and we can slowly being to return to normal.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:11 pm

jupe1407 wrote:The FM's comments regarding quarantine have been taken somewhat out of context.

Somewhat out of context is putting it mildly.

Sturgeon: we have no plans to put quarantine restrictions in place but we are ready to revise our position if the evidence changes.

Daily Mail: Sturgeon to strangle English babies in their sleep.

:crazy:
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:49 pm

paulG2 wrote:Hi everyone
I was in Arrochar the other day and it was busier than I have ever scene it. I have been walking for 10 years. Anyway, I was wondering if people agree that it’s busier than usual and why thoughts on why might be the cause ? Essentially has Coronavirus made hillwalking appealing to a whole new generation?

Paul

I think that a lot of people just now are still not working so more people are free to go to the hills. Also I think most people are still staying local...ish, which is putting a lot of pressure on areas closer to the big population centres. Arrochar and even Glen Etive are easily accessible from Glasgow.
I guess it will get back to normal given time. :?
Sunset tripper

Postby Spade » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:21 pm

Just great to get out and on the hills, forget wee Nicola's rhetoric, we're all UK/ GB passport holders there are no internal borders (Thankfully) welcome to one and all and enjoy the Hills where ever in Britain they may be. :clap:
Spade

Munros:80   Corbetts:5

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:41 pm

Spade wrote:there are no internal borders (Thankfully)

Well, there's a so-called "red line" around Leicester and it is a criminal offence to cross that line for non-essential reasons. There are scores of cities and towns openly at risk of similar borders unless additional local measures do not reduce the rate of infection.

It is interesting the English press reported this local border (with the potential for many more on the way) in one tone (unfortunate but necessary) but reported the mere potential for Scotland in such quite another (unhinged would be generous).

Anyway I've said enough, I'm leaving the topic: for now Scotland's hills & glens are open and open to all. :D

Except anyone within the Leicester border. :silent:
Marty_JG
Backpacker

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion