walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Cycling Glen Shiel, which Way is easiest ?

Re: Cycling Glen Shiel, which Way is easiest ?

Postby prog99 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:50 pm

al78 wrote:If you are doing the south Glen Sheil ridge I assume one end is Cluanie Inn, the other end could be two possible places, a car park near 970140 or another car park near the site of a battlefield. I assume the first or last munro is Creag Nan Damh, from which access to either .....

Out of interest , ever been along that road before?
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby NickyRannoch » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:29 pm

al78 wrote:If you are doing the south Glen Sheil ridge I assume one end is Cluanie Inn, the other end could be two possible places, a car park near 970140 or another car park near the site of a battlefield. I assume the first or last munro is Creag Nan Damh, from which access to either car park is straightforward. .

Do you mean the decent from Creag nan Damh via the NE spur to the battlefield "car park" is straightforward because I found it extremely steep, wet and dangerous with a battle through thick forestry at the bottom.

I don't think I would recommend it, although, I might recommend it before I recommended an hours walk up that road to the battlefield from Màlagan if that's what you mean is straightforward.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby al78 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:57 pm

NickyRannoch wrote:
al78 wrote:If you are doing the south Glen Sheil ridge I assume one end is Cluanie Inn, the other end could be two possible places, a car park near 970140 or another car park near the site of a battlefield. I assume the first or last munro is Creag Nan Damh, from which access to either car park is straightforward. .

Do you mean the decent from Creag nan Damh via the NE spur to the battlefield "car park" is straightforward because I found it extremely steep, wet and dangerous with a battle through thick forestry at the bottom.

I don't think I would recommend it, although, I might recommend it before I recommended an hours walk up that road to the battlefield from Màlagan if that's what you mean is straightforward.

I was thinking descend back toward Sgur Beag then descend down the Am Fraoch choire where there is a path marked part way down which leads to the road, passing the forestry along its east edge.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby al78 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:58 pm

prog99 wrote:
al78 wrote:If you are doing the south Glen Sheil ridge I assume one end is Cluanie Inn, the other end could be two possible places, a car park near 970140 or another car park near the site of a battlefield. I assume the first or last munro is Creag Nan Damh, from which access to either .....

Out of interest , ever been along that road before?

Yes, but a very long time ago.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby jayedubya73 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:25 pm

Thanks for this - was about to ask the same question!

Sounds like bike in the trees at the west, then driving back to start from Cluanie Inn is the suggestion. Many thanks!
jayedubya73
Hill Bagger

Munros:231   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:12+6
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:25 pm

jayedubya73 wrote:Thanks for this - was about to ask the same question!

Sounds like bike in the trees at the west, then driving back to start from Cluanie Inn is the suggestion. Many thanks!

That's only one of the suggestions. It really depends how happy you are cycling uphill for several miles on a busy road. For me, I cycled downhill early in the morning avoiding most of the traffic. I didnt fancy cycling uphill at the end of the day when I could be tired and the road was busy. Possibly holding up and frustrating traffic also.
If you really fancy cycling uphill though, I would suggest doing it early with minimal traffic. I dont really see the benefit of driving up the hill at the start. :?
Sunset tripper

Postby rockhopper » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:35 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:
jayedubya73 wrote:Thanks for this - was about to ask the same question!

That's only one of the suggestions. It really depends how happy you are cycling uphill for several miles on a busy road. For me, I cycled downhill early in the morning avoiding most of the traffic. I didnt fancy cycling uphill at the end of the day when I could be tired and the road was busy. Possibly holding up and frustrating traffic also.
If you really fancy cycling uphill though, I would suggest doing it early with minimal traffic. I dont really see the benefit of driving up the hill at the start. :?

Yup. I only did that because I wasn't sure whether I was going to cover the 7 or add on the other two at the end of the day and wanted to keep my options open. I suppose I could have parked in the west and cycled uphill first thing but I was setting off in the dark pre dawn and didn't like that idea so settled for cycling back up at the end of the day but still in daylight. That said I am very happy on a bike whereas others may be less so.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:08 pm

Yes - fair point rockhopper.
Sunset tripper

Postby Jokester » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:48 pm

Great way to end the day free wheeling down the hill back to the car.
Jokester
Mountain Walker

Munros:77   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:00 pm

East to West as Loch Duich is sea loch. 8)
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion