walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Down in the Mounth

Down in the Mounth

Postby weedavie » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:02 pm

We'd a cracking day in the Mounth yesterday but I'd still like to bitch. The first complaint's a bit sad - I hope there was a good resolution but I don't know. Looking back over the corrie under Tolmount we saw two women had lost control of a big dog, like a yellow labrador, which was chasing a ewe and lamb down the corrie. They were shouting and whistling to no effect. The dog and the lamb went down out of our sight and never reappeared. The women were gingerly following them down.

I hope the animals were ok, but a lot of dog owners lack imagination. When you suggest their pets should be on a leash they say it isn't a risk. And then it's "He's never done that before."

The other complaint was a first, a guy with an electric bike on top of Carn an Tuirc. It's stupid and it's vandalism. If it was a trail bike, there would be general condemnation but because it's silent and the rider makes a contribution it's somehow acceptable. Anyway this sort of encroachment was inevitable, I'm just whining at seeing it come to pass.

Otherwise the walk was brilliant. Walking up from Loch Callater's fantastic. We twice encountered a group of three short eared owls hunting and we saw an adder sunning itself. It's great to be back.
weedavie
Mountain Walker

Re: Down in the Mounth

Postby prog99 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:02 pm

weedavie wrote:The other complaint was a first, a guy with an electric bike on top of Carn an Tuirc. It's stupid and it's vandalism. If it was a trail bike, there would be general condemnation but because it's silent and the rider makes a contribution it's somehow acceptable. Anyway this sort of encroachment was inevitable, I'm just whining at seeing it come to pass.

It should be the estate you moan at for bulldozing the great stoking path up there in the 1st place.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion