walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Taking a senior wild camping advice

Taking a senior wild camping advice

Postby tolkiensir » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:22 pm

Hey there,
So I just got back from a wild camping trip in Galloway that did not go to plan. We planned 5 but managed 3 after getting rained on heavily and my mum, the person this is regarding, suddenly realised the fitness needed to go hill walking and wild camping.
Shes 61 and asked me to take her wild camping after the lockdown eased. I've been multiple times, with varying degrees of success but knowing she wouldn't be up for Munro bagging or 10 mile hikes I had to adjust how I'd plan a trip. I decided on galloway forest park as it was closest to home and after reading reports, I believed we'd have good success finding wild camping spots.
Well day one arrived and mother dearest treated the 4 mile walk to Loch Grannoch as you would Everest. Safe to say day 2 once we made it to glentrool she was dead on her feet, bit extremely happy to find pitches in such a short walk to the car. So come day 3 I believe I got a bearing on her fitness level aha.
No more than a few mile walk and not too much uphill, also not too much "off roading" as she calls it to find a good enough spot to pitch a tent. I told her the paths aren't an option.

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a particular area or region or such that I can look into to find some where new for her to try.
I've got glen nevis up past the falls by steall ruins, glen feshie but unsure which side will hold the most luck and glen affric but I was hoping to find some more spots by the loch rather than the beach at the far west end.
Its pretty hard to gauge what someone with a lower fitness capacity could achieve when mostly everyone that writes reports are already fairly fit themselves.
Thank you
tolkiensir
Hill Bagger

Re: Taking a senior wild camping advice

Postby mynthdd2 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:53 pm

I know its the default suggestion but probably the West Highland Way would be a good intro to wild camping as it is relatively easy walking with loads of escape routes...don't be too ambitious is probably my best advice!
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby al78 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:05 pm

If a four mile walk is like Everest to your mother, then I really don't think she is of suitable fitness for wild camping, unless wild camping means staying within sight of the car. I'd suggest building her fitness doing short day walks which slowly get longer over time, then consider it when she can manage 8+ miles carrying a load without feeling wiped out.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Sgurr » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:51 pm

Would bothying be a possible substitute? We walked into the Suileag bothy (4-5 miles) 7 years ago to climb Suilven when I was 74 so no carrying of tent. Another possibility would be cycling to camp which we did for Ben Armine and Creag Mhor again when I was 74. Cycling 7.5 miles each way and the two hills 12 miles (would be less if you just did the one.) However, it does look as if your Mum would need to improve her fitness a little. We aren't super-human, but did manage a Munro last year (https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=89483). Covid and broken hip has left husband less fit, so don't think we will be going wild camping any day soon.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:17 pm

Agree with what's been said above re the option of bothies and the possibility of roadside camping.... especially in sight of the car.

A couple of years ago I did Ben More (Assynt) and Conival and camped at the side of the road. Not so much "wild" camping as feral camping, perhaps? :lol:

Also, 61 isn't that old.. so if your mum is struggling with a 4mile walk then I'd recommend avoiding anything uphill. There's plenty of flat / level walks where you can get a feel for the outdoors, get the great scenery but without having to climb up anywhere.
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:08 pm

There are no places we can think of that are 1 to 2 miles from parking? Come on guys! :D

One thing you can do is book the Lomond & Trossachs sites & pitches. Not wild wild camping but car accessible.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby ScotFinn65 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:19 pm

2 miles would take you to the lost valley but possibly too much ascent, from your description.
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:48 pm

It does sound like too much, too soon. Just build up gradually, first day walks, then day walks with a slightly heavier pack, then a single night wild camp, then move on to a few nights depending how things go.

As well as fitness, you'll also fine tune what you take over time, and I'm sure she'll be the same. You always take far more on the first few trips than we need.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby al78 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:13 pm

A few possibilities from a quick scan of Streetmap:

1. Drive to the end of the road at Loch Arkaig, walk as far up glen Dessarry as is comfortable, pitch camp in the glen. There looks to be enough flat ground along the river to find a suitable camping spot.

2. Drive to Kinloch Hourn and walk to Barrisdale bay.

3. Drive to Victoria Bridge near Loch Tulla (just off the A82 near Bridge of Orchy). Follow the track along the Anhainn Shira and
pitch camp somewhere near Loch Dochard.

If you are prepared to go further north:

4. Drive to Lower Diabaig (Torridon) or Redpoint, and walk as far as is comfortable along the coastal path. From Redpoint, you are only about a mile from another isolated beach, that might make a good overnight camp.

5. Drive to Kinlochewe, walk to the Heights of Kinlochewe, pitch camp on the flat ground near the river.

Most of these involve short walks along roadless glens, which is the first thing I think of when you ask for a wild camping experience for someone with limited fitness and experience. There are likely more spectacular coastal walks where you could camp on an isolated beach (e.g. Sandwood Bay).

Hope this gives you some ideas.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby mynthdd2 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:18 pm

And another thing - wild camping also requires a certain mindset re toilets/washing/cooking - all good fun once that mindset is established but tricky at first for especially 'seniors' (I am in fact sort of senior in terms of B&Q vouchers/free prescriptions/no bus pass)

Nonetheless, it sounds a great trip or two to be had once the logistics are sorted - what does she want to do?
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion