walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Torridon Camping Options

Torridon Camping Options

Postby jupe1407 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:35 am

I've been trying with little success to find out what's available in Torridon. Does anyone know if the campsites at either Taagan or Torridon village itself are open yet? Potentially heading up with a couple of friends next week. The Hostel is booked and we don't fancy being ripped off by the hotel :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Re: Torridon Camping Options

Postby WalkWithWallace » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:21 pm

The hostel run the informal campsite next door, might be worth asking them?
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby jupe1407 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:30 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote:The hostel run the informal campsite next door, might be worth asking them?

Ah didn't realise that. Cheers
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby Skyelines » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:49 pm

Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby ness64 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:20 am

Unfortunately, the Torridon campsite as well as the toilet/shower block are still closed.

I parked at the Countryside Centre on Friday night and walked up to the toilet block (hoping for a shower) but it's locked. A note on the door explains it's 'due to Covid' and that 'ignoring the closure and using the bushes as a toilet is not wild camping'.

However, during the evening I noticed the occupants of several cars parked around me climbing over the stile across the road from the Countryside Centre and setting up camp, one group even had an open fire going so the closure doesn't seem to be enforced.

The nearest toilets are in Kinlochewe, could you maybe sleep in your car in the village carpark or at Incheril?

I wouldn't recommend camping at the moment anyway - the midges are horrendous, not only at low level but also on the hills!
ness64
Munro compleatist

Munros:211   Corbetts:103
Fionas:38   
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:16

Postby Stevekerr188 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:19 am

Used to be able to use the field owned by the community, above Sheildaig village. There was a cold water tap by the gate and toilets in the village. Payment was an honesty box. Last used this around 2013 so I don't know if that or the toilets are in use at the minute
Stevekerr188
Backpacker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:23   Donalds:89+52
Hewitts:138
Wainwrights:214   Islands:16

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:12 pm

ness64 wrote:The nearest toilets are in Kinlochewe, could you maybe sleep in your car in the village carpark ...?

I'd be wary of that. I last passed through Kinlochewe towards the end of March, just before "lockdown" officially kicked in. Even then the locals had a makeshift barrier across the entrance complete with sign saying "Toilets Closed, No Campervans." I haven't been through since, but if "wild campervanning" has caused the same problems there as in some other locations, even sleeping in the back of your car may cause friction.
Plenty of wild camping opportunities in the area if you can put in the effort required for a proper wild camp well away from the road and your car.
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Postby jupe1407 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:33 pm

Cheers for the replies - I think we'll just sack it for this weekend tbh. I've slept in car numerous times prior to walks and it's no fun :lol:

I think we'll leave it until there are better accommodation options
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby ness64 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:22 am

rabthecairnterrier wrote:I'd be wary of that. I last passed through Kinlochewe towards the end of March, just before "lockdown" officially kicked in. Even then the locals had a makeshift barrier across the entrance complete with sign saying "Toilets Closed, No Campervans."

The toilets are definitely open now, I used them several times over the weekend. There seem to be no objections to campervans staying overnight as the carpark was busy with cars, vans and motorhomes both day and night. In fact, it was so busy that I continued to the Beinn Eighe Visitor Centre carpark which I had all to myself on Thursday night.
ness64
Munro compleatist

Munros:211   Corbetts:103
Fionas:38   
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:16

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion