walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Proposed Reintroduction of Lynx....thoughts?

Proposed Reintroduction of Lynx....thoughts?

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:26 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-53801923

Many of us will have read this report on the BBC News today. In essence: to reintroduce Eurasian Lynx to the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the proposal...? Frankly, I'm all for it. I think it would add a marvellous element to the natural fauna in this country.

It seems though that the vested interests that are NFU Scotland are ready to shoot it down. Can't we get an enlightened Scottish Government policy which could support such a move? Even on a fixed term trial basis?

We already have what is regarded as the most liberal and enlightened land access legislation anywhere in the world. Let's build on that, and try something ground-breaking and truly innovative.

I'd love to go walking knowing there's real wild Lynx out there somewhere. Should farmers and landowners be allowed to stand in the way of this proposal? :?
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Re: Proposed Reintroduction of Lynx....thoughts?

Postby Scraggygoat » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:15 pm

Scraggygoat

Postby KatTai » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:51 pm

Personally I think funds and conservation efforts should be focused on our current species that are at risk in particular the critically endangered Scottish wildcat especially as it is unknown what impacts lynx may have on what is left of the wildcat population. Given the current wildcat numbers, it really won't take much to push them over the edge so I don't think it is worth the risk of reintroducing another predator and losing areas that could potentially be suitable for future wildcat reintroductions. Yes, it sounds nice on paper having lynx back in Scotland but for the time being I think it should remain on paper.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:55   
Islands:32

Postby davekeiller » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:09 pm

Not really quite sure what I think.
I can understand the objection of the NFU - many farmers are not rich, and lynx possibly wouldn't have to take that many sheep to put farmers out of business. I can also understand why shooting estates might not be keen on introducing more predators.
There's also a worry about the effect of lynx on the flora and fauna currently in Scotland. Essentially, lynx haven't lived in this country for so long that reintroducing them would disturb the balance with unforeseeable effects.
On the other hand, if we want to re-wild Scotland by planting native forests and removing non-native wildlife why shouldn't we re-introduce native species?
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby jmarkb » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:46 pm

Ecosystems are hugely complex, and it is hard to predict the impact of re-introductions. It might well turn out that controlling the numbers of deer (which is the lynx's main prey) would be beneficial to forest/woodland habitats by reducing over-grazing (c.f. reintroducing wolves in Yellowstone). We won't really know until we try. Farmers could be compensated/subsidised appropriately if the government chose to do so - there are opportunities to be creative in this respect post-Brexit, but I don't have much faith in our politicians doing the right thing. I can't see much conflict with stalking, which does not generally take place in typical lynx habitat. On the other hand, I don't think it will do much for tourism - they are notoriously difficult to see in the wild.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:59 pm

Keep them away from the A9...
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:21   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:49 pm

When the Lynx was last roaming Scotland the human population was probably less than 500,000.
It's hard to see the Lynx being able to coexist alongside the 5.5 million nowadays but it would be worth a try. It would be good to see lynx living wild in Scotland but I don't think many people are interested enough to risk it.

In Yellowstone the wolves have been introduced in a massive area with very low human population and it hasn't been plain sailing even there, but great to see. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby walkingpoles » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:04 am

The lynx was reintroduced in Switzerland since 1971. Now there are about 100 lynxes roaming the forests. They're extremely difficult to see. Basically, won't happen. The coexistence with humans (Switzerland is more densely populated around the habitats of lynxes than Scotland) doesn't rise to conflicts.

I don't think that they would be a huge impact factor in Scotland.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby WalkWithWallace » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:14 am

I'm all for it, I'd rather natural predators are reintroduced into the Highlands than having them killed for sport. I can see some unnecessary conflicts though with other parties. :?
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:195
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:55 am

There has been talk of Emmerdale in the lakes, which is already in the process of re-wilding, having Lynx. From what I have read they are very unlikely to cause problems with humans and provided local farmers can be brought inline and suitable compensation agreed for any losses I think it's probably the most suitable apex predator to re-introduce. Somewhere will take the plunge eventually and we'll see in action just what effect they may have
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Veryhappybunny » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:01 pm

In principle, definitely - but it sounds like the person concerned may not be the best to take this forward based on the links above.

The organisation Scotland the Big Picture recently gave a fascinating talk on Lynx and there is more information on living with them, and how they could be reintroduced on their website.

Lynx are lone forest predators, so would not be a threat to sheep (or presumably a worry to walkers) in open countryside and pastures. Not sure how that would affect pine martins or wildcats though.
Veryhappybunny
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:159
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:90
Wainwrights:163   Islands:8

Postby rohan » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:07 pm

Scraggygoat post highlights the issues with this proposal. I would be very surprised if this particular scheme is given the go ahead.
rohan

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:47 am

I know a bloke in Norway who shoots deer in the forest there and occasionally encounters Lynx. He says they kill a great many roe deer as they do not eat old meat if they can avoid it, only a fresh kill. This would keep down numbers of roe which are artificially high in the UK, also hares which landowners seem to have a problem with. And if lynx numbers get too high (unlikely), they make a serviceable hat.

lynx.jpg
Lynx - nice hats.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby china88 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:34 am

1200 years ago Britain had

1 million Boar
Over 1 million Deer
10,000 Brown Bears
5000 Wolves
100,000 Beavers
80,000 Aurochs (wild cattle 6 feet in height, weighing 1 ton)
Reindeer

All encountered the most lethal species, us. The last wolf was killed in Scotland in 1621.

I would reintroduce all of them, obviously Aurochs are now extinct . It’s ironic people talk about reintroduce when they were once here. No doubt at sometime in the future we will be talking about reintroducing Golden Eagles when we have wiped them out. No offence to the original poster re my comments.
china88
Munro compleatist

Postby CharlesT » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:56 am

china88 wrote:1200 years ago Britain had

1 million Boar
Over 1 million Deer
10,000 Brown Bears
5000 Wolves
100,000 Beavers
80,000 Aurochs (wild cattle 6 feet in height, weighing 1 ton)
Reindeer

All encountered the most lethal species, us. The last wolf was killed in Scotland in 1621.

I would reintroduce all of them, obviously Aurochs are now extinct . It’s ironic people talk about reintroduce when they were once here. No doubt at sometime in the future we will be talking about reintroducing Golden Eagles when we have wiped them out. No offence to the original poster re my comments.

1200 years ago the human population of Britain was around about one million. It's a very different place now with a population of over 65 million.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion