walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Walking in the Lake District

Walking in the Lake District

Postby Joey » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:42 am

Hi there! Anyone know of a website similar to WalkHighlands for walking routes in the Lake District? Thanks in advance!
Joey
Mountain Walker

Munros:66   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   

Re: Walking in the Lake District

Postby nigheandonn » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:47 am

Not really - I've found http://www.wainwrightroutes.co.uk/ fairly useful at times for the hills, but generally if I wanted to find out about something that's not in the Wainwright books, I just had to track down other people's reports, here or elsewhere. (Although that's true of Scottish routes beyond the standards too, to be fair.)

There are plenty of websites which will offer you low level routes, but I can't vouch for any of them in particular.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby poppiesrara » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:15 pm

Hi Joey,

As Nigheandonn says, no direct equivalent, but plenty of 'blog' options if you want to see route maps and descriptions. One with good search facilities (choose a hill and see a good range of mapped and pictured routes) is http://www.sharkeysdream.co.uk/. Mainly longer walks. Wainwrightroutes is indeed very good, but more as an adjunct to the books themselves - which you could just bite the bullet and buy if you're planning to spend much time around the Lakes, nothing beats those!

And loads of walk reports on here, search under Bagging/Wainwrights - 80+ just for Helvellyn for instance...

Good luck!
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Alan B » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:25 pm

Hi,

In addition to those already mentioned I have found https://www.walklakes.co.uk/ useful. No Walkhighlands of course but helpful.
Enjoy when you go.
Alan B

Munros:19   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:36 pm

Or you just buy the maps, work out routes that looks good from that perspective, and go for it. It doesn't always work, but I'd say that about 90% of the time it does if you're OK walking "off piste".
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby John - 1957 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:33 am

I go to the Lakes quite a bit......I just peruse the map on ViewRanger on home computer and make my own routes up....it helps that I spent all my spare time from 16 to 28 mainly in the Lakes.....Ambleside is a great base.
Also go on Youtube and search Lake District walks on there....had a few good ones off that.
John - 1957
Munro compleatist

Postby jmarkb » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:27 am

I realise that actual books are kind of old fashioned, but there is no shortage of walking guidebooks for the Lakes. My favourites are Bob Allen's "On High Lakeland Fells" and "On Lower Lakeland Fells" - both out of print but you can pick up second hand copies on line for next to nothing.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby 37201xoIM » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:54 pm

Aye, I must admit I just use this site too - in fact, to be honest I've done many more hills in England than Scotland using Walkhighlands gen!

Worth bearing in mind that, at least from the point of view of planning walks, the Lakes is much easier than the Highlands in that there are more, and more obvious, paths, so the need for guidance is rather less. But yes, I've used many excellent reports for Lakes and Pennines hills on this site (funnily enough, including many from Alteknacker and Poppiesrara of this parish!) to plan such walks myself.

And of course you can use this site to record your Hewitt and Wainwright "scratches" too.
37201xoIM

Munros:11   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:120
Wainwrights:45   Islands:19

Postby ChrisButch » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:09 pm

jmarkb wrote:I realise that actual books are kind of old fashioned, but there is no shortage of walking guidebooks for the Lakes. My favourites are Bob Allen's "On High Lakeland Fells" and "On Lower Lakeland Fells" - both out of print but you can pick up second hand copies on line for next to nothing.

+1 for Bob Allen - and one of the reasons his books have a certain something special is the constant presence (both in the photos and in the descriptions) of his two inimitable schnauzers, Henry and Freddy.
ChrisButch

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion