walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Overnight parking in Tyndrum

Overnight parking in Tyndrum

Postby SMRussell » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:07 am

Hi all

Does anyone know whether it is okay to park up for an overnight stay at the Green Welly or Tyndrum Inn? The latter is mentioned on searchforsites.co.uk but the reviews are pre-Covid-19. I do intend to give them both a call but, to avoid a potentially unpleasant conversation, thought I'd ask around in case there have been any irresponsible / anti-social issues involving campervans recently.

Apparently overnight stays at the car park by the old Tourist Information Centre are no longer allowed/frowned upon.

Thanks in advance.

P.S Goes without saying but, we don't have a little party in our van. We park respectfully, keep noise levels low, keep ourselves to ourselves, take our litter away/dispose of it appropriately if bins are available and leave early.
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Re: Overnight parking in Tyndrum

Postby mynthdd2 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:35 am

The By The Way campsite is really good.....I guess the local economy could do with a lift!
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby SMRussell » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:54 am

mynthdd2 wrote:The By The Way campsite is really good.....I guess the local economy could do with a lift!

I didn't feel the need to outline our full itinerary but we're paying to stay in local accommodation further north, stocking up on food while there, probably having a pint somewhere along the way. If we were to stay by the Tyndrum Inn we'd have a drink there and we'd probably grab something from the Green Welly gas station shop if we stayed there. So we will be spending money while away.

Thanks.
SMRussell

Postby davekeiller » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:01 pm

I haven't heard of any problems in Tyndrum recently.
Personally, I'd use the by the way campsite for £10/head and have access to toilets, showers and indoor cooking facilities.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:44 pm

Just give them a call. I doubt it would be a problem and even if it was I can't imagine it would be an unpleasant conversation.

There's parking at Bridge of Orchy also if you are heading that way.
All the best :D

Ps I would recommend the campsite also..... if it has space.
Sunset tripper

Postby scoob999 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:44 pm

We stay in the carpark at Tyndrum now and again, not this year though, there's also a big car park across the road from the pub in Crianlarich, or they let you stay in their car park if you buy a meal, just ask first :D
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby SMRussell » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:06 am

As a general response we will be staying in the van for two nights before staying in accommodation in Glencoe for two nights and then another night in the van as we head home. I have planned out where we will ideally be parking up for nights in the van (we will not be staying at the same spot for more than one night). I wondered about Tyndrum as a possible back up should there be an issue with the spot I have earmarked for our first night.

RE staying at a campsite.

Firstly our van provides a place to toilet (yes, we a portable toilet in the van) and a place to cook indoors - though we don't engage in toileting and cooking at the same time you will be pleased to know. As for showers, neither of us mind going a few days without a shower. Pits and bits can be washed in the van if necessary. A full shower will be had once we have checked into our accommodation in Glencoe. So the amenities for the night in question are not necessarily a huge draw.

Secondly and more of an issue is we have been burned before staying at a campsite with the van. Our van is a partial conversion. From the outside it just looks like a van, not a camper van. Inside it is basic but clearly set up like a camper. We booked into Braemar campsite for Boxing Day last year, booking as a campervan. When we arrived to check in we were told that as our van doesn't look like a campervan we could not be allowed to check in. I am happy to admit that if you check the T&Cs this is mentioned ["Sleeping in cars or vans is not permitted unless the vehicle has been converted accordingly to meet the requirements of a 'Motor Caravan' by the DVLA: with side windows and a specially designed internal sleeping area"]. So this was our mistake but has made us feel uneasy about this issue. We have decided that a) eventually we should add a side window and b) we will always take a tent with us should we need to use a campsite so we have a back up option. This is something we have talked about for this trip though we'll have to see if we have the room to take the tent for this five night/ six day trip.
SMRussell

Postby SMRussell » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:07 am

Sunset tripper wrote: There's parking at Bridge of Orchy also if you are heading that way.
All the best :D .

That is another of my back up options :D Thanks
SMRussell

Postby SMRussell » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:10 am

scoob999 wrote:We stay in the carpark at Tyndrum now and again, not this year though, there's also a big car park across the road from the pub in Crianlarich, or they let you stay in their car park if you buy a meal, just ask first :D

Thank you so much Scoob! With the bypass in place I've not passed through Crianlarich itself for ages and didn't think about it to be honest. Handy, relevant info. Much appreciated. :D
SMRussell

Postby Stevekerr188 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:38 pm

Hi I used to have a campervan and have kipped overnight in the following places around that area. Picnic site on the road between Killin and Crianlarich, Dalrigh just shy of Tyndrum, off road area at the start of the path to Ben Lui on the A85, just over the Bridge of Orchy, car park beyond the Inveroran hotel, hordes of spots down Glen Etive and lastly at the back of the Kingshouse. Hope that helps.
Stevekerr188
Backpacker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:23   Donalds:89+52
Hewitts:138
Wainwrights:214   Islands:16

Postby SMRussell » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:44 am

Stevekerr188 wrote:Hi I used to have a campervan and have kipped overnight in the following places around that area. Picnic site on the road between Killin and Crianlarich, Dalrigh just shy of Tyndrum, off road area at the start of the path to Ben Lui on the A85, just over the Bridge of Orchy, car park beyond the Inveroran hotel, hordes of spots down Glen Etive and lastly at the back of the Kingshouse. Hope that helps.

Hi Steve. Thanks so much for the helpful info :D
SMRussell

Postby davekeiller » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:48 pm

Braemar campsite isn't somewhere I would recommend.
We tried to camp there once and they basically said we were only allowed a 2 man backpacking tent and nothing larger.
They're really a caravan site and don't want anyone that doesn't conform to their idea of what caravanning is like, but were forced to accept tents in order to get a licence.

Personally, I would still prefer the campsite, but I can understand that you feel differently. I haven't heard of any problems in the Tyndrum area, so if you're thinking of staying a night, I'd probably just phone up and ask. I expect that if you had a meal and a couple of drinks each that the pub wouldn't object to you parking overnight.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby SMRussell » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:19 am

davekeiller wrote:Braemar campsite isn't somewhere I would recommend.
We tried to camp there once and they basically said we were only allowed a 2 man backpacking tent and nothing larger.
They're really a caravan site and don't want anyone that doesn't conform to their idea of what caravanning is like, but were forced to accept tents in order to get a licence.

That is so ridiculous, isn't it? Back in 2012 my partner at the time and I stayed (tent camping) there as a base to tick off some hills and we didn't experience any bad vibes. I think the management may have changed since then. I didn't think to check their Ts&Cs last year as we've a few mates with conversions that also look more like a van than a campervan and they'd stayed at campsites without issue. It was a lesson learned, though I must admit we thought not accepting such vehicles was snobbery and felt it was a bit mean spirited turn people away after dark on Boxing Day. But that is their policy and their right as a business. We just parked up at the car park just a bit north of the Invercauld Arms and spent the night with our fingers and toes crossed that we'd find somewhere to responsibly empty the toilet the following day :shock: We did, thankfully.

davekeiller wrote:Personally, I would still prefer the campsite, but I can understand that you feel differently. I haven't heard of any problems in the Tyndrum area, so if you're thinking of staying a night, I'd probably just phone up and ask. I expect that if you had a meal and a couple of drinks each that the pub wouldn't object to you parking overnight.

I called the Inn up yesterday and they were fine with us parking up provided we have a meal and/or a few drinks. Good to know we have that as a back up if needs be. We've just been feeling somewhat apprehensive given some of the inconsiderate and daft behaviour displayed by some campervan owners at the start of lockdown and really didn't want to cause any upset.
SMRussell

Postby Spade » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:36 pm

I always found that as long as you buy the food n drink they have been quite welcoming in Tyndrum and parking overnight was no hassle :) .
Spade

Munros:80   Corbetts:5

Postby midge airsupport » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:24 am

If you intend to park up after a beer or 3 make sure its on private land.If an over zealous copper is short of arrests you may find yourself being charged with being in charge of a vehicle whilst unfit.
midge airsupport
Backpacker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion