walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

3 Yorkshire peak training, experiences

3 Yorkshire peak training, experiences

Postby Kmo86 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:59 pm

After a few year debate with a man who runs a charity I go to we have finally agreed next year we will do one Yorkshire peak and if I manage it ok we will go again and do 2 and then all 3. So what is the best way to train for this and are there any exercises to help towards it? I’m fine walking long distances it’s the hills I find tough so I have been walking round a local place with hills and steps, also been going up and down stairs at home. I’ve been practicing standing on one leg as my one leg balance is not great. Squats with one leg. Running up hills in street. Is there anything else I can do to make sure I manage these peaks as it’s at stage now it’s either get it done or give up as I know I can’t carry on pushing to do this if I can’t show I can manage it.

Also which peak would be best to start with? I’ve read penyghent is smallest yet hardest and whernside biggest but easiest. The first walk is going to be 8 mile so not sure if it would be better to do whernside or a harder peak. Also I’ve never done any scrambling which I’ve read is needed in parts of the smaller 2 peaks keen to give it a go though but would it be best to try one of them peaks first.

Right now I’m thinking get the one done then I’ll get to do 2 so probably the 2 I not done on first walk. Anything after that is a bonus.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Re: 3 Yorkshire peak training, experiences

Postby LobeyD » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:20 pm

Not familiar with the hills but have done some training for endurance type events. To fit around normal life, the usual recommendation is 2-3 c.1-hour aerobic sessions midweek, maybe a core exercise day (squats, pilates etc.) and one longer steady effort at the weekend that is similar to the actual challenge you'll be doing. So sounds like you have the right idea.

Particularly for the longer weekend effort, you need to build up slowly to avoid injuries and getting demoralised. Work out what you can do reasonably comfortably now. Keep adding 5-10% to the distance every week until you can manage at least about 70% of the actual challenge distance. For the midweek efforts try and slowly increase the level but they shouldn't be so hard you can't recover by the next one.

Good luck!
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Johnwright5000 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:28 am

The 3 peaks? Yorkshire!
Cannot see any problems there unless you have a disability.
Straight forward in fact.
Johnwright5000

Postby 37201xoIM » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:15 am

Johnwright5000 wrote:The 3 peaks? Yorkshire!
Cannot see any problems there unless you have a disability.
Straight forward in fact.

I agree. They really are as easy as hills get, to be honest, at least if the most common routes are chosen. Whernside for example is sort-of the pedestrian equivalent of an urban motorway...

Tip: if possible, avoid going at a weekend or, above all, on a bank holiday Monday!

Crowds aside, they are therefore a good place to start in hillwalking terms.
37201xoIM

Munros:11   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:120
Wainwrights:45   Islands:19

Postby Kmo86 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:59 am

Not got a disability tho my balance isn’t great on uneven ground. I did a walk in hope valley up and down mam tor there 9 mile walk in 2018 and found it tough but that was through not eating. Once I’d eaten I was ok. Can only manage hills slowly but by time next year comes I should have had enough practice to manage hopefully all 3. I’m thinking worst case scenario my legs ache and takes more time. Will definitely eat before and during the walk and drink water during it. Then I can’t see what could go wrong. 1 peak definitely will be ok then 2 will probably be more checking time to see if 3 in 12 hours look likely.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby mrssanta » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:32 am

The main thing with the Yorkshire 3 is the distance I think.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby tweedledog » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:05 am

Probably a sin to say so, but I found Whernside thoroughly boring! The other two, however, are both splendid in their different ways. Combined both several times on various loops. Forget Whernside and design yourself a walk over and around the other two...
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby mrssanta » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:12 pm

tweedledog wrote:Probably a sin to say so, but I found Whernside thoroughly boring! The other two, however, are both splendid in their different ways. Combined both several times on various loops. Forget Whernside and design yourself a walk over and around the other two...

my favourite bit was the walk back from the top of Ingleborough down to Horton, quite long but through limestone pavements and lovely views over to Pen-y-Ghent and you can feel proud of having done that one already! assuming you do it anticlockwise which is the usual route. Also Chapel le dale is lovely.
It's a long time since I did the 3 peaks and it's a lot busier nowadays
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Kmo86 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:29 pm

Having never been to the Yorkshire peaks I can’t imagine finding any of them boring tho until he agreed to do more if I manage one ok I had been hoping to not do whernside as I’ve read that is the easiest of the 3. Now tho I’m more bothered over getting the first done ok so wouldn’t mind the slightly easier option tho I’m best not saying that as I know none will be that easy and I know he will test me on bits to see how I manage.

We could also do an easier walk as well as the Yorkshire peaks next year in Brantingham. He has said he will take a woman who is wanting to go there next year for a walk so will be good for me to have bit of extra practice on hills. Been there twice with the group and managed fine both times.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby Philistine » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:54 am

God's own county :D

I did them on Saturday for the first time. I'm very new to hill walking.

They were physically more demanding than when I did Nevis back in August, my legs are still aching but I'm a complete newbie. Nevis was more demanding and I had to stop loads due to it being a continuous up hill slog and it was 25 degrees.

If you've got experience doing long distance walks or doing multiple Munro's at a time you should be fine.

Lots of people do it without training.
Philistine
Mountain Walker

Postby Kmo86 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:53 pm

Well looks like I’ll get the chance to attempt all 3. The man has admitted providing I don’t feel dizzy doing any of the peaks he will do more. Started at a gym with the group today 5 week thing. Practicing up and down stairs, fast walking and hills. Got to do this next year with how long it’s gone on. Need to not feel dizzy honestly that’s going to be the easy part just eat and drink while on the walk.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion