walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Munros.. Which order?

Munros.. Which order?

Postby Coutts94 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:43 pm

For all you Munro baggers.. which order do you pick to do them in? Random? Distance? Weather? Rating? :lol:

Im based in Inverness, so kind of central. I have completed a lot of the Ullapool Munros and a few Cairngorms, but where to go next?!
Coutts94
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

Re: Munros.. Which order?

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:43 pm

I would recommend going where the weather is best. Don't burn all the nearby hills early doors because, sometimes, driving 2-3 hours each way to do some hills is just too much of a pain in the ass.

When I started hillwalking I lived in Fife and dreaded the A9 whereas I now live in Inverness and dread the A82 by Loch Ness (much worse than the A9).
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:21   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby al78 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:40 am

I'm not a Munro bagger but do enjoy hiking up hills, and I choose the hills which look on the map to give fantastic views, and try to walk up them when the weather is likely to be clear. If I were Munro bagging, I would take a similar approach, start with the ones I have the technical ability to climb, the ones with spectacular views, the clusters where multiple Munros can be bagged in a day, and the most accessible ones. I'd save the more difficult/less interesting ones for later.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby ScotFinn65 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:33 am

I had never really thought about it until you asked.

I have only started a couple of years ago, so easier Munros with clear paths and simple navigation were first in my list.

I live abroad and tackle the hills in shorts spurts of a week or 10 days when I'm over. Therefore, logistics of having a few within easy distance related to a single accommodation was the next criteria. For example, Lawers range seems easy and logistically accessible staying in Killin for a few days.

Next came views and enjoyment of the walk. Once l got a bit more comfortable this became more of a driver than "easy" but logistics still influenced me.

Once l thought about it more, l realized l am also influenced by advertising and "sex appeal". Commonly photographed in all the calendars seems to entice me. The Bookle, Nevis, An Teallach, Liathach all started to appear on my wanna do list.

I hadn't thought about any of this before your question but all of them clearly formed part of my decision making :roll:

Thanks for prompting me to think about it. It's better to do the planning consciously than subconsciously. :shock:
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:49 am

[quote="al78"]I'm not a Munro bagger but do enjoy hiking up hills, and I choose the hills which look on the map to give fantastic views, and try to walk up them when the weather is likely to be clear. If I were Munro bagging, I would take a similar approach.

Someone says there not a " Munro Bagger" but the Avatar shows you as a compleateist, but the Munro count sits a 28.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby KatTai » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:43 am

gammy leg walker wrote:
al78 wrote:I'm not a Munro bagger but do enjoy hiking up hills, and I choose the hills which look on the map to give fantastic views, and try to walk up them when the weather is likely to be clear. If I were Munro bagging, I would take a similar approach.

Someone says there not a " Munro Bagger" but the Avatar shows you as a compleateist, but the Munro count sits a 28.

It's probably from when the list was changed and just about everyones became something different.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:55   
Islands:32

Postby malrobb » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:23 pm

I guess it depends on what time period that you want to do them over. I think the average compleation is 16 years so, depending on your age/fitness, then you might not want to leave all the hard ones until last. I think I would echo the other posters and say that variety is key. You probably want to mix up the rugged West Coast ones with some more rolling ones in the East. The weather will definitely be a factor and if you are based in Inverness then you can make a West/East decision quite easily. Good luck
malrobb
Mountain Walker

Munros:201   

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:04 pm

All of the above. Start with the easy ones: Glenshee. Angus. Drumochter, etc.

Keep it simple. Dont over-reach to start with. Pick days when the weather is agreeable. Try and do your first few with someone who knows the drill.

Bad / negative early experiences on the hills can put people off the outdoors for life. Take it easy. Step by step (excuse the pun).

And have FUN. :D
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby Sgurr » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:11 pm

I know the order I SHOULD have done them. If I started again with a new life, I would start earlier, not around 52. I would do some easy ones and then try to build my confidence up fast. I would NOT leave the Inaccessible Pinnacle until I was 63 or Sgurr nan Gillean until I was 64. I WOULD get into camping while I could still carry things more than 5 miles so that I could do big rounds like Mullardoch more easily. Easier said than done...things like raising a family, building a business and doing social things would keep getting in the way.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Coutts94 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:22 pm

Thanks for the replies :lol: so basically weather is the biggest factor.. and do them while im still young(ish).. thanks :lol:
Coutts94
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:26 pm

I tended to cover the local hills which were feasible in day trips albeit some were rather long days. Also, if we were away on holiday in Scotland, I'd get a few days each time and cover as many in each vicinity as possible. After that I planned multi day trips to cover off groups of hills, often camping - Excel spreadsheets came in very handy as I aimed to cover them as efficiently as I could to minimise travel time 8)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby al78 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:50 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:
al78 wrote:I'm not a Munro bagger but do enjoy hiking up hills, and I choose the hills which look on the map to give fantastic views, and try to walk up them when the weather is likely to be clear. If I were Munro bagging, I would take a similar approach.

It is probably because when I originally filled in those details, I accidentally entered the number of munros I'd done in the number of munro rounds completed box.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Shuginho » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:46 pm

For me, no order whatsoever. I've went from doing 2 on the Cuillin on a Wednesday to doing 2 in the Lawers Range the following Saturday. Trying to keep Beinn a'Bheithir for last though.

Suppose it would be different if you were trying to emulate yir man Donnie Campbell, but I like the "mixing it up" feel I have to my munro bagging so far.

Of course if you have a chance of a weekend of munros then best to plan them out for the are you will be in, e.g SGSR, Saddle, Brothers etc.
Shuginho
Mountain Walker

Munros:150   Corbetts:4
Fionas:12   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:11   
Islands:24

Postby Backpacker » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:50 pm

I’d just go with whatever suits you at the time, there doesn’t need to be any order
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:117
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Shuginho » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:50 pm

al78 wrote:
gammy leg walker wrote:

It is probably because when I originally filled in those details, I accidentally entered the number of munros I'd done in the number of munro rounds completed box.

did find it strange (on another thread) when you said you weren't one for driving over 2 hours to a hill.
Shuginho
Mountain Walker

Munros:150   Corbetts:4
Fionas:12   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:11   
Islands:24

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion