walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Newbie Walker - West Highland Way training

Newbie Walker - West Highland Way training

Postby Melaniet1987 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:24 pm

Hi everyone

Having never really done much long distance walking apart from taking the dog up Bennachie occasionally, my husband and I recently agreed to walk the West Highland Way for charity.

Since then we have spent the past few months up hills, along old railway lines and getting as many miles under our newly broken in boots as possible.

I have really fallen in love with walking and am so excited about doing the way in September, albeit also terrified. This website has been so interesting for finding walks and reading other people's experience when walking the way and other routes we have covered.

Starting to get our confidence up now, we are going to start bagging some Munros, starting with Ben Lawers this weekend, (weather permitting) which will also give us a chance to use our new tent and see how we fair camping since we will be doing it for 7 days on the Way.

Any tips or advise as a reasonably new walker or as someone who is going to take on the West Highland Way would be much appreciated :)

Thanks!
Melaniet1987
Mountaineer

Munros:2   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Newbie Walker - West Highland Way training

Postby Arthurs Eat » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:49 pm

Harvey's WHW map is a good one with lots of additional planning information? Also try and get in a multiple day walk as the WHW is hardest on your feet.

good Luck and enjoy
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby basscadet » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:37 pm

Get as much camping in as you can, and note everything used/unused. I see so many people along the way looking defeated with packs of enormous size. You don't really need much - keep the kit list simple..
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Coop » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:50 pm

Eat breakfast; make sure your boots fit ( carry compeed just in case) take sunscreen and Waterproofs, don't get disheartened and enjoy the scenery.

As basscadet says- you really don't need to empty your house contents and carry them on your back.( words to that effect :D )
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Sgurr » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:19 pm

I'm sure you have thought if this, but waterproof trousers are essential. Nothing is so horrible as trying to dry out down to the skin in a tent....oh, and make sure that whatever you take to light your stove actually lights it. We once camped with our newly acquired waterproof matches, and were too tired to work out that you needed to scrape the wax off them before striking them.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby edwardrussell » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:07 pm

Take as little as possible. My feet have never hurt so much - you'll enjoy it provided you're not carrying too much. It also helps if the sole of your boot doesn't fall off!
edwardrussell
Munro compleatist

Munros:41   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...