walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hello

Hello

Postby casey2021 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:05 am

Hi all,

I'm quite new to hiking, having done the 3 peaks this year but with what I've now seen and experienced in the Highlands I am now completely hooked and wanting more ☺️.

I would now like to do a winter walk up Ben Nevis either up the normal track or the CMD, but to be safe would like to go up with others. Are there any groups of people who do regular hikes I could join?

Thanks,
Casey
casey2021
Mountain Walker

Re: Hello

Postby Colin1951 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:32 pm

Welcome aboard!

There’s a school of thought that there’s no such thing as winter hillwalking in Scotland, only winter mountaineering, that’s to do with the weather, the snow conditions, the visibilty and the avalanche risk. Ben Nevis is not a hill to learn winter mountaineering on, if you fancy being out in winter you’d be better building up experience with other folk on some of the Southern Highlands’ well trodden Munros and Corbetts. That way you’ll get back down in one piece….

Ben Ledi and Ben Vorlich are good winter starters.
Colin1951
Stravaiging

Munros:226   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:12
Walk wish-list

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:33 am

Colin1951 wrote:Welcome aboard!
There’s a school of thought that there’s no such thing as winter hillwalking in Scotland, only winter mountaineering, that’s to do with the weather, the snow conditions, the visibilty and the avalanche risk. Ben Nevis is not a hill to learn winter mountaineering on, if you fancy being out in winter you’d be better building up experience with other folk on some of the Southern Highlands’ well trodden Munros and Corbetts. That way you’ll get back down in one piece….
Ben Ledi and Ben Vorlich are good winter starters.

I agree with the above, start on something much simpler; the Ben is no place for newbies to learn winter mountaineering. Join a club so you are out with others and can glean information from those more experienced than yourself. Look on the internet for mountaineering clubs near you. Ski areas like Glen Shee, Glen Coe and Aonach Mor (now called Nevis Ranges) have good road access, lots of people about if you get in trouble and handy cafes, toilets etc. so are good for getting a taste of winter conditions without throwing yourself into a potentially fatal situation.

Carn Mhor Dearg to Nevis March 2014#1r.jpg
Carn Mhor Dearg and Ben Nevis
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby rohan » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:17 pm

casey2021 wrote:Hi all,

I'm quite new to hiking, having done the 3 peaks this year but with what I've now seen and experienced in the Highlands I am now completely hooked and wanting more ☺️.

I would now like to do a winter walk up Ben Nevis either up the normal track or the CMD, but to be safe would like to go up with others. Are there any groups of people who do regular hikes I could join?

Thanks,
Casey

If you are relatively new to walking in the hills, I would recommend signing up for a winter skills course to learn how to use an ice axe and crampons before you tackle any of the higher hills in winter and certainly as others have said, The Ben is not the one to be starting on.
rohan

Postby Sgurr » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:54 pm

Mountaineering Scotland have a good list of clubs you could join

https://www.mountaineering.scot/clubs
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Bubbasway » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:57 pm

Hi Casey,

Hope you have a great time posting your walk reports and using Walk Highlands as your default place to go to when searching for information for your next walk.

Look forward to reading your reports.

Bye for now.

Bubba
Bubbasway

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...