walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Moving Back Home after 40 years

Moving Back Home after 40 years

Postby Mark LJ » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:19 pm

Afternoon

Always browsed the site as a guest but I'm finally moving back to Scotland after an absence of nearly 40 years so I've joined in the hope of contributing at times. We'll be based near Badachro and the aim is to get out on 2 or 3 decent walks a week. I'm a bit of a photography nerd so I'm really looking forward to the change in scenery and using this site to research new and different walks.
Mark LJ
Wanderer

Re: Moving Back Home after 40 years

Postby Arthurs Eat » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:02 pm

Welcome home. I know the Gairloch area quite well as I had family there I visited often. It’s beautiful and the locals are very friendly. Your walking and photography will be well taken care of.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby Mark LJ » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:04 am

Cheers - I've run photography tours up there in the past and always looked with sadness in the rear mirror whenever I had to leave. Getting nervous now.
Mark LJ
Wanderer

Postby jmarkb » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:18 am

That's a lovely part of the world - a regular holiday venue for us. Lucky you!

The area of small rocky hills between Gairloch and Loch Maree is well worth exploring, a good option if the higher hills are clagged in. Some of the other smaller hills near the coast have terrific views, for example An Cuaidh above Melvich and Meall nam Meallan above Mellon Udrigle. And so many good beaches: Red Point, Opinan, Gairloch, Big Sand, Firemore, Mellon Udrigle, Gruinard Bay.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Mark LJ » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:01 pm

jmarkb wrote:That's a lovely part of the world - a regular holiday venue for us. Lucky you!

The area of small rocky hills between Gairloch and Loch Maree is well worth exploring, a good option if the higher hills are clagged in. Some of the other smaller hills near the coast have terrific views, for example An Cuaidh above Melvich and Meall nam Meallan above Mellon Udrigle. And so many good beaches: Red Point, Opinan, Gairloch, Big Sand, Firemore, Mellon Udrigle, Gruinard Bay.

Thanks for that. Much appreciated. Our house is 200 yards from the beach at Opinan. Moved in this week. Slightly spoiled as I've spent the last few years working on Ullswater and now moved here. Once we've emptied all our boxes and got unpacked I'll try out your suggestions.
Mark LJ
Wanderer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...