walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hello

Hello

Postby rogers » Thu May 07, 2009 10:42 pm

Hi all,I just come across this site while checking information for our next munro (Meall Ghaordaidh) which myself and Timber my walking partner are planning for the 16th of May,we done Beinn Chabhair on sunday,it was our second go at it after our first try which was at the end of february,knee deep snow,wet and very windy and very little visability coupled with the fact that we started of up the wrong side of the burn which was in full spate,we got as far as the lochan, weather started to close in even more so we turned back but I must admit our second try was well worth it as it turned out to be a fantastic day in all respects,good weather,good company,great views and we met a few like minded folk as well.We only started doing the munros last september and have managed 11 so far,but as I dont have such a good head for heights we are just picking and choosing the ones that we will feel comfortable on. :) We are also planning a two day wild camping trip soon and any suggestions would be appreciated,does not have to include munros.cheers for now.
rogers
Mountaineer

Munros:48   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1

Re: Hello

Postby mountain coward » Thu May 07, 2009 11:07 pm

Ahhhh! At last! a fellow mountain coward!;-) Welcome to the site. If you fancy some remote Munros which I don't believe are scary (at least I'm hoping they're not), I'm heading to Shenaval (near Dundonnel, across Loch Broom from Ullapool) camping in May between Sun 17 May and leaving Thu 21st. I aim to do the very remote Munros from there, i.e. A' Mhaighdean & Ruadh Stac Mhor, and Chlaidheimh to Beinn Tarsuinn (4 Munros).

Have you done Beinn Challum yet? I found that very easy and pleasant - also Beinn Mhanach - both from Crianlarich/Tyndrum area (good Youth Hostel at Crianlarich). Also Sgiath Chuil and the Munro next to Beinn Cheathaich should be fine (although I haven't done them yet) - I think they look best from the Glen Lochay side - you could have a look at those while you're down there for Meall Ghaordaidh.

I'm sure you'll be sent plenty more suggestions though...
mountain coward

Re: Hello

Postby Myth » Fri May 08, 2009 10:08 am

The Drumochter hills (single and three doubles listed here, or single, double and long quad) are all relatively simple (nothing edgy anyway), have water/flat ground nearby, and are all good for wild camping with continuous movement between them possible (but not always desirable) on foot. The southern four are probably the most rewarding, but that's a really wild camp, either quite high without water, or a big drop between days.
The hills behind Newtonmore - a ring of three relatively straighforward hills - are also simple and "soft", but the wild camping would probably be limited to before/after, as it's really a day trip and I can't think of a good camp stop between the hills (a bit boggy - but possible).

For a wild camp just for the sake of it, I still think Glen Affric has lots going for it - as long as you go soon. Once the dreaded midges power up, it's not a place to camp... There are LOADS of good camp spots both around the loch and lochans, and along the river, and several ways in/out which could enable a point to point trip (although public transport linkups are generally dire). I've not tried Sheil to Clunie in one trip, but that has possibilities for linking up with public transport, options onto several uncomplicated munros if you feel brave, and pubs at both ends, and would be a good range for either one or two overnights wild camp depending on the hills chosen/ignored.

Look forward to hearing about your trips.
Myth

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...