walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Armchair enthusiast

Armchair enthusiast

Postby need to breathe » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:41 pm

Hello people.

Joined this site with the intention of picking up knowledge to arm myself with when I eventually make it out in the wide world again. Been self-isolating for many years now and, as a result, have got very unfit. Camped in the woods three times in the last three years but clearly need to get out more regularly. I live right just off one of the busiest roads in London, hence my user name. My children are all grown and have families of their own now, so I’m free to focus much more on me.

Only been to Scotland once, many years ago, but my Nan was a Scot (she lived in Edinburgh, but her family came from the Orkneys), and I feel a real connection to Scotland, especially wild Scotland.

So, that’s me. Armchair enthusiast, looking to turn my life around. :D
need to breathe
Wanderer

Re: Armchair enthusiast

Postby jmarkb » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:34 pm

Welcome to WH! Hope you get some inspiration from the site and that you make it up here some time.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby need to breathe » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:58 pm

Thanks 👍🏼
need to breathe
Wanderer

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:08 am

At least you can fly up to Orkney from London (Or up to Glasgow, Edinburgh or Inverness) and get here quickly without hours of tedious driving, or take a sleeper train to Inverness, always a nice old fashioned way to start a journey. Wandering in the hills and glens will get back your appetite for the wilds of Scotland. :D

Loch Gary#2.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby need to breathe » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:14 pm

I’m imagining that right now and smiling 💚
need to breathe
Wanderer

Postby need to breathe » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:14 pm

Oh, and that picture 💚💚💚 The Orkneys?
need to breathe
Wanderer

Postby Booga » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:39 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:At least you can fly up to Orkney from London (Or up to Glasgow, Edinburgh or Inverness) and get here quickly without hours of tedious driving, or take a sleeper train to Inverness, always a nice old fashioned way to start a journey. Wandering in the hills and glens will get back your appetite for the wilds of Scotland. :D

Agreed, it's sometimes easier for a Londoner to get somewhere interesting than for someone like me in rural Oxfordshire as the transport links are within easy reach. I'd have to head into London anyway before catching a plane or a fast train up to Scotland. :)
Booga
Ambler

Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:5   Islands:12

Postby MrsOrr » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:26 pm

Oh, and that picture 💚💚💚 The Orkneys?

No, a little misleading of Caberfeidh, the photo is of Loch Garry which looks like the outline of Scotland. A wonderful view, no doubt someone more knowledgeable than me, on here, can tell what mountains are in the background.
I have been to Orkney on holiday though and can't recommend it highly enough, fantastic place!
MrsOrr
Bird-watcher

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...