walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Greetings from south of the border

Greetings from south of the border

Postby westonfront » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:54 am

Well hello
This all feels rather like 1989 when as a fresher we introduced ourselves to each other on the basis of which A 'levels we'd taken. So that tells you for a start that I was either a child prodigy or that I am almost 50...

I've been backpacking since I was 13 and started to enjoy it when I was 16 and because of that transition have continued until this day. When I married I spent my time cycle touring rather than backpacking and enjoyed the journeys and did not miss the sore shoulders. Back then it seemed a struggle to get my kit down to 20 kg. Time has passed, technology has improved, experience has been gained and Mrs W went cold on cycle touring a few years back so I returned to my first love of hill walking with a tent and found that my kit need now only weigh 8.5-10.0 kg. Being fortunate to live on the edge of the Forest of Bowland I thought I'd have a go a wild camping (something I did in my youth simply because of cost) and I've become hooked. I suspect I am preaching to the choir.
I was really fortunate to get out into the Highlands once or twice a month 1992-1996 but now, sadly, only get there for holidays as it's a bit far to go for a weekend. Hoping it will be safe & legal to spend a week on Shetland this coming summer as we had planned to do May 2020!
When I've passed the initiation ritual of this forum I'd love to share some links to save lots of cutting and pasting. In the meantime searching for westonfront + wordpress, should that be of interest, will give you more of an idea of my exploits.
Will
westonfront
Mountain Walker

Re: Greetings from south of the border

Postby Sgurr » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:27 pm

Very impressed on reading your blog how much you have managed to do outside since lockdown. Am sure you will find many likeminded people on the site. I tend only to camp when I can't do a hill any other way.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Re: Greetings from south of the border

Postby Sgurr » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:28 pm

Very impressed on reading your blog how much you have managed to do outside since lockdown. Am sure you will find many likeminded people on the site. I tend only to camp when I can't do a hill any other way. I used to be a touring cyclist with daughter(but only YHAs), but couldn't persuade husband to join me when she left home, so had to go hill-walking instead.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...