walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hello from NL

Hello from NL

Postby Rens » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:39 am

Hi, just created this account. Plan to visit Scotland this summer if all goed well. Will be quite a challenge as I am not a great walker and not used to mountains. Scenery will be great though. Trying to do some training beforehand. Hope to find some less difficult walks here.
Rens
Walker

Re: Hello from NL

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:25 pm

Lots of options. You can always walk a trail and use a baggage service to take your luggage to the hotel ahead of you so yuou only have to carry lunch & water & some clothing options. Companies compete for many trails e.g. West Highland Way, Cowal Way, Great Glen, St Cuthbert's, Arran Coastal. Or you can hole-up in a location and use that as a springboard for day walks.

Arran is not a bad choice for that, "Scotland in miniature". Lots of easy walks about the place and if you feel brave you can attempt the glorious Goatfel that dominates the island. Very well made path up and down, pace yourself and you should make it.

All this said... be wary about expecting Scotland to be open this summer. Fingers crossed but no guarantees!
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:36 am

I picked up some hitchers from the Netherlands (they were from Goude, aka Cheese City) and I drove them through Glen Coe and down Glen Etive after a rainstorm. They were very impressed by the steep mountains and waterfalls cascading down everywhere. I guess in the flatness of the Nether Regions, you don't ever see waterfalls.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Munro22 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:43 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:I picked up some hitchers from the Netherlands (they were from Goude, aka Cheese City) and I drove them through Glen Coe and down Glen Etive after a rainstorm. They were very impressed by the steep mountains and waterfalls cascading down everywhere. I guess in the flatness of the Nether Regions, you don't ever see waterfalls.

We are quite used to waterfalls here in the Black Forest.
But the waterfalls I have seen in the Scottish Highlands are a lot more impressive. :)
Munro22

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...