walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Donald Bagging on a Mountain Bike

Donald Bagging on a Mountain Bike

Postby Peter Hardy » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:08 pm

Hey everyone

I have been using Walk Highlands website for a few years, for walks and for cycle routes. The content you all share is fantastic and I have gained some priceless knowledge through the forum.

I enjoy walking in the hills but I am more of a mountain biker by trade. I have been thinking of a new challenge to set myself and I am keen to try and summit all 89 Donald’s using my bike (NOT an e-bike).

From past experiences, I have never had an issue sharing trails with walkers, horse riders, livestock etc but I am aware that some walkers do turn their noses up at mountain bikers using the same hills as them.

Before I start this challenge I thought I’d test the water on here first. Would folk have strong opinions against me giving this a go?

Regards

Peter
Peter Hardy
Hill Bagger

Corbetts:7
Fionas:23   Donalds:89

Re: Donald Bagging on a Mountain Bike

Postby Skyelines » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:35 pm

I don't have an issue with people enjoying the hills in any way they choose, my measure of whether it is appropriate is the one I apply to what I do.
The question I ask of myself is, will what I do leave a mark of my presence that someone else may find or lead to damage of the land?
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby prog99 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:00 pm

I've done all the donalds (and tops for the full round) and am very familiar with the terrain it involves....

Your issue will not be annoying other walkers (you'll hardly see anyone and most of the hills are scarred with atv tracks anyway.) but getting a bike onto a lot of the summits avoiding bog, swamps and tussocks. It wont be a pleasurable experience.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby nathan79 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:50 pm

There will be plenty of sections where you can pedal but as prog99 has said there will be a lot of carrying, pushing and bog-hopping. All adds to the experience though, go for it!
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby Peter Hardy » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:13 pm

Thank you for the feedback!

I’m going to give it a go but holding off until this “beast from the east” clears. I’ve been doing smaller local hills lately and lots have a considerable amount of snow on them. I don’t think the Donald’s will be any better at the moment.

Watch this space 8)
Peter Hardy
Hill Bagger

Corbetts:7
Fionas:23   Donalds:89

Postby AyrshireAlps » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:47 pm

Where are you based peter?

I've done a fair few munro's and corbett's on the bike, as said above though, often the donald's don't have as good a path as popular hills do.

Rhinns of Kells is a good option, you'll be pushing up from forrest lodge, but it's a lovely broad ridge to pedal along, from meaul in the north to meikle millyea in the south. Quite techy, but nice descent back down from hennessys cairn.

Been looking at doing the full awful hand for a few years, I'll do it this year.

You won't get any bother from folk, I always aim to be disarmingly cheery, works every time. Most folks are just happy to see you and ask loads of questions.

Enjoy.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...