walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Suilven

Suilven

Postby DaveAllen » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:21 pm

Hi All

Myself and my Dad are keen to summit Suilven when we have our weeks holiday later on this summer. All the videos I have watched people have headed in from Lochinver and headed up the grass gully on the northside.
We were thinking of heading in from Inverkirkaig, taking in the Falls Of Kirkaig on the way. Is there a way up Suilven from the southside or do you have to head round and summit from the gully on the north.

Any help would be brilliant, thank you in advance

Dave
DaveAllen
Mountain Walker

Munros:4   
Hewitts:75
Wainwrights:124   

Re: Suilven

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:20 pm

Hi Dave,

There is indeed a path up the southern flank to the low point on the ridge, Bealach Mor. Its a little loose in places, but no real difficulties. You can see a path approaching from the shores of Fionn Loch, via the Alltan Fearna. Its fairly faint, but from the top of it, the path up the side of the hill is visible.

It would be slower than from Lochinver, and a couple of km further as a round trip, and the section from the top of the path above Kirkaig Falls and round Fionn Loch can be boggy and involves a few stream crossings. However, the walk up the river is lovely, and the view of Suilven as you approach is spectacular.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Re: Suilven

Postby DaveAllen » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:54 pm

Hi Mal

Thank you so much for the information, it's a great help.
DaveAllen
Mountain Walker

Munros:4   
Hewitts:75
Wainwrights:124   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...