walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Trekking in August...hopefully

Trekking in August...hopefully

Postby Wordlyways » Thu May 13, 2021 7:10 pm

Need to move our student back to the states in August, this past year studying in Scotland has been rough but with some gems in there for her to travel and see when possible. We'll have six in our party if travel is permitted, staying for 8 days- looking to throw in a couple of hikes (under 3-4 hours) along the way.

Spots looking good:
Crathes Castle/ Elgin Cathedral/
Harris/Oban
Stirling Castle
Eileen Donan Castle

Have no clue if the above are doable in 8 days- just love gardens and history (oh and love birds, too!!) and like to throw some of those into our stops- if there are any hikes amongst these locales to consider- please let me know. Renting a 9 passenger van- trying to map out our stay..flying into Edinburgh and out- need to spend last night in St. Andrews...all the rest is open.

Trying to make this a special trip for this hard working student who has missed all three of her graduations (high school/college/and likely master's) due to Covid/moves....she would prefer travel any day- and inspiring vistas! She has seen Glencoe/Inverness/NC500 and she might have already seen Eileen Donan castle...so that might can be marked off.
Wordlyways
Walker

Re: Trekking in August...hopefully

Postby SelarahMorgan » Mon May 17, 2021 10:41 am

That's a pretty open ended journey and it sounds like a fantastic way for your student to end her stay here. Hopefully a lot more places will be a more open by the time you're looking to do your trip. Either way I'd highly recommend taking a look at the Historic Environment Scotland website and the map of all their sites. You can filter by region to look for places near your planned visits.

A lot of their sites are unstaffed as well so they are free to visit, you can filter for this on the website, and there are generally really great information boards around. It's also a great way to find nice areas for walks and hikes as there's usually information on the pages for the different sites.

You could also take a look at the National Trust for Scotland website. Generally speaking, NTS deals with more recent historical sites i.e. buildings with furnished interiors while HES deals with older and more ruin-like structures. This is just a general rule though and there are exceptions.

As for specific advice, I'll say that Stirling Castle is one of my absolute favourites in Scotland and there's a lot to see just walking around in Edinburgh. Since you're planning on heading to St Andrews, definitely check out the castle and abbey if you can and I'd recommend heading to Falkland Palace and Garden if you. The area is stunning and there are a ton of great places to walk around Fife.

I hope that helps and have a great trip!
SelarahMorgan
Wanderer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...