walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hello folks.

Hello folks.

Postby TactiCol » Wed May 26, 2021 4:01 pm

Hi folks. Just popping in to say hi and introduce myself.

I am fairly unfit 48 year old Scot (Dundonian) living down in Nottingham and looking to improve my overall fitness and wellbeing by taking up walking and hiking. I'm a couple of stone overweight (at least 3 :) ) at this stage of my life (classic Dad bod :wink:) and have recently undergone some hospital treatment (Colon/Digestive etc). I feel like I am in the last chance saloon with regards to health before things start to really deteriorate so I want to take action now to prevent that.

To that end I am going to be travelling with my son (16) and nephew (24) to do a bit of walking and light hiking in June around the Cairngorms to get into the groove (10 days approx). We will be incorporating a bit of wild camping and site camping more than likely. I am hopeful that this will be the catalyst to improve my mental wellbeing and the beginning of working on my fitness to take on greater challenges.

To that end we are looking for some easy(ish) trails with good opportunities for a bit of wild camping (leave no trace) and would appreciate any feedback regarding the best ones to start with for my ability level. We are basically at the Got all the gear and no idea phase. My wild camping, survival and map and compass skills are reasonably decent and I am very aware of the dangers that taking on too much in the Cairngorms can bring.

I don't want to bite off more than I can chew or to put myself or others at risk (nor create work for mountain rescue that they could well do without). I could probably do with a little signposting around the website/forums and any other links that some of you more experienced folks feel would be beneficial to somebody just starting out.

Any help or advice would be warmly welcomed and gratefully received.
TactiCol
Wanderer

Re: Hello folks.

Postby Sgurr » Thu May 27, 2021 9:45 am

Go to Walks, top left and scroll to Cairngorms. They are all sorted by levels of difficulty from 1 boot upwards. Or search the long distance walks. You will get the official description from Paul and Helen who run this site, and a plethora of variations from other people who have done the same or similar. Wild camping is a bit like jumping in at the deep end. The pack is WAY heavier than a day pack, but go for it if you think you would like it. (Here speaks someone who has only EVER camped when it is the only way of getting to the hill of choice)
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby jmarkb » Thu May 27, 2021 10:32 am

Welcome to WH!

Great to hear that you are taking the first steps to improve your wellbeing. If you could be more specific about the location (e.g. Aviemore side or Braemar side of the Cairngorms) and the length/type of walk you are looking for, then it will be a bit easier to make some specific recommendations for you.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby TactiCol » Thu May 27, 2021 9:18 pm

Sgurr wrote:Go to Walks, top left and scroll to Cairngorms. They are all sorted by levels of difficulty from 1 boot upwards. Or search the long distance walks. You will get the official description from Paul and Helen who run this site, and a plethora of variations from other people who have done the same or similar. Wild camping is a bit like jumping in at the deep end. The pack is WAY heavier than a day pack, but go for it if you think you would like it. (Here speaks someone who has only EVER camped when it is the only way of getting to the hill of choice)

Hi Squrr and thank you for the response and general signposting and advice. It is much appreciated. I will be sure to follow your directions and check it out.

With regards to wild camping, I do have a reasonable degree of experience, albeit some 20+ years ago now. I've already got all the stuff that will be making the journey (Footwear, clothing, backpacks, tents, cooking system, filtration, survival kit, first aid and nav aids etc) and am currently testing it in the field and getting some practice walks in so that it does not come as a complete shock to the system. :) Getting all the lightest of gear wasn't really an option straight of the bat due to financial considerations but, I tried to do as much as I could in terms of bang for buck relative to weight. Load wise we are trying to keep it at 15kg or below per pack and we are roughly in that zone at the moment.

We really do want to incorporate some wild camping into the experience and simply want to get away from it all after the oppressive and depressive nature of constant lockdowns. We just want to feel free again (if only for a wee while). We will combine that ideally with the odd campsite to freshen up properly and recharge devices etc.

Thanks again for your response and general advice.
TactiCol
Wanderer

Postby TactiCol » Thu May 27, 2021 9:47 pm

jmarkb wrote:Welcome to WH!

Great to hear that you are taking the first steps to improve your wellbeing. If you could be more specific about the location (e.g. Aviemore side or Braemar side of the Cairngorms) and the length/type of walk you are looking for, then it will be a bit easier to make some specific recommendations for you.

Thank you jmarkb.

We are open to either side to perfectly honest. My nephew is still based in Dundee (as is the rest of the family) so that will be our departure point. We've considered just heading up the A93 past Glenshee and looking at some easy ground round that way to iron out any potential issues before heading North/NW up the A939 towards Tomintoul, Grantown on Spey and then over Aviemore way before heading West toward Fort William and checking a wee bit of the West Highland way and possibly even heading north of that to have a little peek at Wester Ross. It all depends on how much we are enjoying the moment in relation to where we end up going tbh.

We have got two cars going as my nephew is taking his own so we thought about leaving one at point B then travelling back to A in the other car and doing a walk/camp/walk from A to B sort of thing. We are entirely open to suggestions though and would appreciate any advice or feedback on that from more seasoned walkers/hikers such as yourself.

Again, thank you for getting back to me. It's very much appreciated.
TactiCol
Wanderer

Postby jmarkb » Fri May 28, 2021 6:56 pm

Ok, that doesn't narrow it down too much! Here's a few ideas for you:

An Socach is a nice easy hill https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/an-socach.shtml that is away from the Glen Shee ski area - you can vary the return over Sgor Mor if you fancy it.
Loch Callater would be a nice spot for a camp, with various hill day options in the White Mounth.
Derry Lodge is another nice spot to walk in to for a camp - again various hill options, including https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/carn-a-mhaim.shtml, https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/ben-macdui.shtml and https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/sgor-mor.shtml
The hills off the Lecht/Tomintoul road are nothing very special - all fairly rounded and heathery: Morven is probably the pick of them https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/aberdeenshire/morven.shtml
Once over the Aviemore side you have a lot more choice. As well as the main Caringorm/Macdui options, Meall a' Bhuachaille https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/meallabhuachaille.shtml is a good easy hill. You could camp at Ryvoan and do Bynack More https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/bynackmore.shtml or camp in the Lairig Ghru for Braeriach. Sgor Gaoith from Glen Feshie is another reasonably easy day https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/sgor-gaoith.shtml.
If you fancy a through route with 2 cars, then the Lairig Ghru https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/lairig-ghru.shtml is a classic option, with the Lairig an Laoigh / Fords of Avon route another possibility, though both involve quite a long drive round to the far end.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby TactiCol » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:10 am

jmarkb wrote:Ok, that doesn't narrow it down too much! Here's a few ideas for you:

Sorry I couldn't be more specific. We are still discussing it amongst ourselves and trying to work out some routes. Thanks for the links you have shared. We have had a wee look at some of them and one or two seem quite doable. I'm not in the best of shape at the moment (Been on the cancer pathway etc) so they have to be easy to moderate difficulty. I am going to work on fitness to take on bigger challenges. With a bit of experience and increased fitness, we will hopefully develop the confidence to take on some of the more challenging expeditions. For now we are looking to keep it relatively simple.

Thanks again for your input. It is much appreciated.
TactiCol
Wanderer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...