walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Introducing............ Frank!

Introducing............ Frank!

Postby john » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:33 pm

This will be a rather odd introduction. It is not me - I think I did my introduction when this site started. This is an introduction is to a great hill man who sadly passed a few weeks ago.

His name was Frank and he was 95. An uncle of my wife, I knew Frank for many years. I knew him when I started hillwalking and at that point, Frank was already pounding the mountains and glens. A guy who had served in India during conscription in the 50s, he was the age that I am now when we first went to the hills together. I remember the day well........

We met at the Queen's View at the back of the Kilpatrick Hills and used my car to go to the hills. I seemed to be the driver most of the time. Frank had a problem with petrol. He never seemed to have enough of it! We spoke of which hill we would tackle that day. I was eager to do a new Munro and was disappointed when Frank suggested Ben Vorlich at Loch Earn. One I had not only already done, but attempted to do at least 4 times within a 9 months period in the run up to successfully managing it.

However, Frank had a different route. From Braeleny at Callander. Ok, I thought - different. So we arrived at the farm around 9am on a glorious May day. I had never been on this route and was fascinated as we wandered along the track to Arivurichardich and popped into the bothy for a snoop around. On that short distance, Frank had told me how he had been on the low hills in the area helping during the recording of a religious programme which I think was The Blue and the Green. He pointed out several species of birds and flora. By this time I was beginning to appreciate that Frank knew a thing or two about the outdoors. We sat on the bealach crossing over to Vorlich from the bothy and had a break. A large herd of deer on the hill above our heads. Frank pulled from his sack a strange first aid kit. Complete with large red cross on it. And in it was everything you could possibly need to deal with a cut finger, leg break or, probably, minor heart attack! He explained to me where it had come from. Some friend in the military or fire service. You see, not only was Frank a walker, ex-vet of India, he was also an ex-Fire Service Station Manager!

We got to the top of Vorlich and rested with our backs to the drop, eating our pieces. That is until Frank spotted from the corner of his eye a small flock of snow bunting. Both of us almost fell off the mountain as we craned our necks to watch these little charmers as they flew just past us.

So, I thought that was it for us. Day ended. Time to go home........ But not a bit of it. Frank suggested doing Stuc a' Chroin. Which we did. Then we opted for a walk over Beinn Each on the return journey. It was glorious. The sun, the wild life. Everything about it. But mostly Frank and his knowledge and tales.

It was around 8pm when we got back to the car. I had not really been looking forward to this walk when Frank suggested going to Ben Vorlcih......... now it stands out in my memory as one of the best days of my life!

Frank and I did several more hills together and, like most walkers, I have memories and stories about all of these. I enjoyed every single one of them! Even if I was predominantly a solitary walker.

Frank continued to go to the hills until he was around 85, I think. Then he started to use his bike more. He loved bothies and youth hostels. He was still a member of the SYHA very late into his life. He considered it won of life's great bargains!

I learned so much from Frank. About the hills, about the wildlife, about life in general.

I can't get to the hills any more. I haven't been able to for some time and miss them every single day. Even admitting that and writing this is hard for me. Anyone in my situation will know that feeling. So, I have a favour to ask of anyone who reads this, please........

When you are next on top of a mountain, think of Frank. Someone you did not know. But someone who shared your spirit and love of wild places. Look around - weather permitting - and take just a few minutes longer to appreciate what you have achieved that day and the views before you.

And, if you know and can pronounce this phrase, say softly:

Anail a' Ghaidheal air a' mhullach! - the spirit (beathing space) of the Gael is on the summit!

frank 1.jpeg
Frank McGarry
john
Walker

Munros:209   Corbetts:32
Fionas:11   
Sub 2000:9   

Re: Introducing............ Frank!

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:48 pm

Captures superbly what I feel about the hills.

How fortunate are those of us that have this in our lives.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Arthurs Eat » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:29 am

You’ve done Frank justice there John. I wish I had a Frank in my life. But the hills are still there and always will be. You know them.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby john » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:48 am

Arthurs Eat wrote:You’ve done Frank justice there John. I wish I had a Frank in my life. But the hills are still there and always will be. You know them.

I appreciate this. Enjoy every moment you can with them.
john
Walker

Postby john » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:50 am

Alteknacker wrote:Captures superbly what I feel about the hills.

How fortunate are those of us that have this in our lives.

You are indeed. Enjoy them - in bad weather as well as good. They are always a treasure.
john
Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...