walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

New Here

New Here

Postby ScubaCollie » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:04 pm

Hi All, new member here, and also new to hill walking.

I'm 50 next year and have always loved the country and the wild forces of nature, from the howling winds to the sharp cold rain on my face, and have always fancied wild camping.

I moved to Scotland last year, and have realised I've got a playground on my doorstep, I'm not getting any younger, and would be a fool not to explore and live my dream of wild camping in the outdoors.

I've ordered myself a 2 man tent and camping gear, and just waiting for delivery.

Once it's all received, I will have a go at setting it all up in my garden and becoming familiar with it, before venturing out in the hills with it.

I stumbled accross this forum looking for hills to walk, and thought I would join.

Im a newbie and there is so much I don't know, but hopefully will pick up along the way.

I've walked up Ben Nevis about 12 years ago, went up Scarfell Pike in January in the snow, without a map (but did have decent clothing on) but unfortunately I ended up on the summit next to it, and then had to cross over to Scafell Pike, and I met a guy from Wasdale Mountain Rescue on the top, who couldn't believe I crossed over at that point and lived to tell the tale..... 🙄🙏

I've also been up Skiddaw about 18 years ago.

So my outdoor walking is very basic but I would like to learn and be safe in the hills.

I have some questions and would be grateful if somebody could help me out with these.

1. Do you have to purchase OS Maps for every hill you want to walk or is there a map book that includes them all?

2. I was in the French Alps when I was 18, with some of my mates on a Martial Arts training camp, and in those days none of us had credit cards or much money, and we ended up running out of money 3 days before we were due to leave. We ended up managing to get some money together to buy a tray of eggs, and boiled them up to eat over the next few days, and we went up into the mountains and bottled some water from a waterfall. Nothing happened to me from drinking that water, however when I was on the way back down from Scafell Pike in the snow, I filled my water bottle up from a stream, and ok there were bits floating in the bottle, but i drank it anyway, and that evening I was up all night being sick and bad! I would naturally like to avoid this happening again, therefore whats the advice on drinking from streams and small lakes/ponds in the Scottish Hills? I've purchase a Jet Fluid 2 stove and intend on boiling any water before drinking? Will this then make it safe even if there are any bits in it?

There are lots more questions I have but willl save them for another time 😁

Thank you all in advance and look forward to chatting to you all 😁👍
ScubaCollie

Re: New Here

Postby jmarkb » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:49 pm

Welcome to WH!

ScubaCollie wrote:1. Do you have to purchase OS Maps for every hill you want to walk or is there a map book that includes them all?

There is no map book (apart from https://www.harveymaps.co.uk/acatalog/The-Munros--The-Complete-Collection-of-Maps-MBOKMU.html which is not very practical)! You can individually purchase paper maps, or print out the bit you need from digital maps (the OS app is pay-by-subscription https://shop.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/apps/os-maps)

ScubaCollie wrote:I would naturally like to avoid this happening again, therefore whats the advice on drinking from streams and small lakes/ponds in the Scottish Hills?

It is generally fine to drink from sources high in the hills, but filter bottles like the Katadyn BeFree are a popular solution. Boiling also makes water safe, but consumes quite a lot a fuel. You should normally be able to avoid collecting water with visible particles in it. For day trips, it is often easiest just to carry all the water you will need. More advice here: https://www.mountaineering.scot/safety-and-skills/health-and-hygiene/drinking-water
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...