walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hi, new to all this

Hi, new to all this

Postby JeCook » Wed May 20, 2009 3:39 pm

Hi Folks,

Me and my mate have decided to tackle all 284 munros, starting a week on Sunday. We are both completely new to this, are 38 years old, and semi-fit.

before we start, can you offer some advice on the following -

An easy (ish) start, which Munroe should we start with, not too far from where we live (Erskine).(PS we have both done Ben Lomond some time ago)
What footwear should I invest in?
Any other considerations that you think would be essential?

Thanks, JC

PS Great site!!
JeCook

Munros:40   Corbetts:1

Re: Hi, new to all this

Postby Tarmachan » Wed May 20, 2009 4:02 pm

Hi Je
Welcome and great for you to start hillwalking, it's never too late!
First thing I'd reccommend before steeping foot on the hills is to learn some basic navigation skills. I see so many folk out on the hills in trouble, I used to be in Mountain Rescue too and a great many call outs stem from poor or no navigation knowledge.
Try Ben Lawers for a relitively easy start.
Have a great 'lifetime' of walking in the hills!
ps There's more to the Scottish Highlands than Munros
Tarmachan

Postby cjwaugh » Wed May 20, 2009 4:27 pm

Hi jc welcome to the site ,the arocher alps are all fairly close to you to be starting on . Map reading and using a compass is a requirement as far as I'm concerned and decent waterproof clothing ,as far as boots its a very personal thing but go to a shop where they will make sure they fit you properly best of luck sure there will be a lot more advice to follow :D
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Postby rogers » Thu May 21, 2009 10:16 pm

Hello and welcome,I just started the munros a year ago and my first one was Schiehallion which is fairly straight forward,I also got myself a copy of walking the munros published by cicerone,there are 2 volumes,volume 1 covers south,central & western highlands,it's my wee munro bible. As for boots thats a personal choice,i've got a pair of brashers and they do me fine,but you have to take into consideration winter climbing where you will also need crampons,something I could have done with a couple of times early in the year,remember not all boots are compatible with crampons.Of course map & compass are essential,I also take a basic GPS that I got for £80,not everyones choice but I never go without it,anyway enjoy yourself whatever you decide and I'm sure we will be reading many of your walk reports soon :)
rogers
Mountaineer

Munros:48   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1

Postby mountain coward » Fri May 22, 2009 2:48 am

Just a quick correction to the previous comment that 'not all boots are suitable for crampons' - you can fit flexible crampons to most proper walking boots (can't remember the grade they are given though) - any outdoor shop will be able to advise though... Just don't let them bend your boots repeatedly to see how bendy they are - a new pair of mine got ruined like that by an over-zealous salesman in an outdoor shop in Keswick! :(
mountain coward

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri May 22, 2009 9:13 am

What you really need is a heavy blunt instrument to bludgeon your mate to death with so you can devour his flesh when trapped in a bothy in a snowstorm. That and good thick woolly socks, they make all the difference.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Myth » Fri May 22, 2009 2:12 pm

Hello and welcome...

There are several great threads in the general section on boots, navigation and essential equipment - worth reading... Compass, map, whistle, torch, emergency bag/space blanket, hat & gloves, water bottle, emergency food. That's with me pretty much year round, and I just add extras according to conditions.

Don't stint on the boots - less than £100 will be marginal in my opinion and £140 more like it - buy only from a "real" hillwalking shop and spend TIME wearing them stomping round the shop...

Really would advise that you invest in quality clothing/waterproofs - again from a dedicated outdoor shop. The good makes really do last better, work better, and fit/feel better too! Remember to think in layers...

Rory.
Myth

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri May 22, 2009 4:28 pm

One might almost believe that Myth had shares in one or all of the High Street retailers...
You don't have to spend hundreds of pounds; cheap stuff works well too, just remember it has limitations, check the weather reports and take action accordingly, i.e. don't go if it's crap weather! I use boots which cost less than £60, some use stuff from army surplus shops (I used to, and did my best stuff using it). Fleeces are cheap these days, a fleece and waterproof are a good combo. Cheap trousers are available from Primark for a tenner; they're going to get muddy and torn so you may as well get cheap ones, you're not going on a fashion parade! At least, some of us are not...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Myth » Mon May 25, 2009 10:59 am

Caberfeidh wrote:One might almost believe that Myth had shares in one or all of the High Street retailers.....

LOL - yeah, I can see that - but not High Street. My favourite "chain" has two shops on Deeside... and my second only one in Aviemore. Although of course I love the coffee and buns in my local TOE. Wifie favours a chain - but then they carry her favourite brand...

I have however been let down hard by some rubbish masquerading as technical gear... and they tend to fail right when you need them most. A rucksack, some boot and a two piece breathable lightweight jacket/trousers spring to mind.

I've found the few (!) good pieces of kit I've bought are still with me and get picked up more often, and last better - one over 20 years service, and just passed onto my son (who is now more like the size I was then).
Myth

Postby JeCook » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:29 am

Thanks for the advice, first Munro (and walk of any kind away from the golf course) completed on Saturday - Schiehallion. Rerport will follow on another thread. cheers
JeCook

Munros:40   Corbetts:1

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...