walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hello from Edinburgh

Hello from Edinburgh

Postby Quicken » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:37 am

Hi all,
I am a long time hill walker and former fell runner. I have hiked peaks in the Lakes, Alps and Carpathians but am still very much at the start of my Munro journey, and joined here prior to my first real bagging trip. I'm in my 40s, very light and moderately fast (we'll see this week). I have no real winter or climbing skills but I have done a sub 3 marathon and I keep fit running and playing hockey.

My first attempt at a Munro was in 2016 with my wife (then girlfriend) in the Arrochar Alps. I was planning to propose on the peak (I'm a bit mad about mountains), but brutal sideways rain drove us back and I had to move to a backup plan. It worked out. On our Honeymoon in Aviemore, we did manage our first Munros together - Ben Macdui and Cairn Gorm. That was 7th July 2017, during a heatwave. Similar to now.

During a stay at Tarbet, Loch Lomond, in June 2019, I completed the four Arrochar Alps.10/6/19 Ben Vorlich; 12/6/19 Beinn Ime & Beinn Narnain; 14/6/19 Ben Vane. At this point I wanted to start doing more Munroing, but the Pandemic got in the way and I have been stuck on 6 since then. Sadly, my wife did not enjoy Ben Vorlich so she's out and I can go fully mad doing long tough routes.

I will be solo bagging initially, and using public transport (no car) which limits the options and lengthens the routes. I will be staying at Crianlarich for three days of Munros, Sunday to Tuesday. Current plans:
1) Sunday: Tyndrum 4, using roughly the route decribed by Broggy1, but from the bus stops in Tyndrum.
2) Monday: Ben More 4 loop from Crianlarich, or if I'm feeling good, Crianlarich 7 ending at Inverarnan (for the bus back). If the latter, I will be using the Alteknacker route but finishing at Inverarnan (drovers inn).
3) Tuesday: If Monday was M4, this will be the other 3 at Crianlarich; if I make the seven then I will probably head up to Bridge of Orchy for Beinn Dòrain and Beinn an Dòthaidh.
I am expecting very limited boggyness given the hot dry spell we have had, so I'll be using my trusy Leadville trail running shoes not boots.

I'll endeavour to report back here.
Cheers, Rob
Quicken

Munros:182   Corbetts:4

Re: Hello from Edinburgh

Postby Quicken » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:00 pm

Completed the Tyndrum 4 today. Tough day. My bag split and I'm cut and bruised for a couple of reasons, but I made it round from bus stop to bus stop in Tyndrum in under 8h as planned. Report pending. Now for day 2..
Quicken

Munros:182   Corbetts:4

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...