walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

A belated hello!

A belated hello!

Postby DaveSan » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:32 am

Greetings fellow walkers....
Although I've been a WH member for a few years, I've been lying low and just picking off the occasional hill.
A bit of background - I completed the Munros in 2005 - took me about 10 years - and all whilst living in SE England (racked up a fair few miles in the car!). Since then I've done the occasional Corbett but not with any conviction or expectation of completing them all. However, now that my wife and I have retired and moved to Cumbria, trips to Scotland are now much easier (only 3 and a bit hours to get to Glencoe for instance).
In May, we were staying up in Lochcarron for the week and did a couple of Corbetts. I sensed that my wife could see I was itching to do more and to my surprise (and delight!) suggested that I needed a big project and should look at the feasibility of completing the Corbetts. At this point my total stood at a mere 48. I began planning and suggested I could complete them all on my 70th birthday (early 2025). So, about 45 a year - easy!
Since then I've been up 7 times (!) and my total now stands at 117, so ahead of target.
In those 7 trips I've had some cracking days - and pretty good weather most of the time. Highlights include backpacking in to Fionn Loch from Poolewe and doing the Beinn Deargs, Beinn Lair and Beinn Airigh Charr; Bidean a'Chabair and Carn Mor in a single, very long day from Strathan; Baosbheinn and Beinn an Eoin; the Cobbler (with slightly scary summit scramble!) and the 3 in Knoydart near Inverie.
I still have a number of difficult/long days to come but am looking forward to further adventures.
DaveSan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:147
Grahams:5   Donalds:7
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:51   

Re: A belated hello!

Postby tigerburnie » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:22 pm

Sounds like a great challenge, good luck with the rest.
tigerburnie

Munros:6   

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...