walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Postby Diceman » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:05 am

Hi, newly retired living in North Yorkshire and intending to spend more time in Scotland as my sister has just moved to Inverness. Opportunity to walk the highlands which I've not done before. Any ideas for introductory long distance walks welcomed. Access to decent pubs essential! David
Diceman
Walker

Re: New member

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:01 am

From Inverness you are a short drive/bus/train down to Aviemore and the delights of the Cairngorms (pubs in Aviemore, a nice wee bar in the campsite at Loch Morlich, bar/cafe at the ski centre on Cairngorm - not sure if that's open still- pub at Coylumbridge and at Glenmore Lodge), or across to Kyle of Lochalsh and the wild west highlands (Plockton has nice hostelries, excellent seafood and a railway station if required) and Isle of Skye (be sure to visit the Sligachan Hotel), or up to the wilds of Gairloch, Sutherland, the far North West and all the empty lands of moors and hills. There was a programme on BBCiPlayer recently, a series called Take a Hike, one of the walks was up near Cromarty; a much neglected but very nice corner of Scotland. For low level walks, the Caledonian Canal has a nice path beside it, Dores Beach is fine on a day when the gales are not howling down the loch (The Dores Inn beside the beach does a good pub lunch), and Fort George is an interesting day out. I like beach-combing on the wide shoreline of Findhorn and Burghead Bay. Have a great time exploring!

Loch Ness head#2.jpg
Dores Beach, Loch Ness

Canoeing Loch Morlich#p.JPG
Rent a canoe for an hour or two, at Loch Morlich near Aviemore

Lochan Uaine of Ryvoan.JPG
Lochan Uaine of Ryvoan, near Glenmore Lodge, Cairngorms, near Aviemore.

Loch Gary#3.jpg
Loch Garry, Glen Garry, off the A87 from Invergarry to Cluanie
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...