walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

New member from Perth. No, the other one

New member from Perth. No, the other one

Postby DardyBob » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:23 am

Hi,

I've signed up to WalkHighlands from Perth in Western Australia. I am Scottish but haven't lived there in nearly 20 years. I used to live in Glasgow and in Aberdeen and was a keen hill walker in my day (200+ Munros). The Western Highlands and the Grampians were old stomping grounds.

I still do hiking here in Australia, but the challenge is quite different. Heat, too much sun; lack of water, dehydration, and yes snakes (I saw two on my last hike last week) can make for a challenging environment.

Anyways, I have an extended period of leave and am planning to walk the Scottish National Trail, or a variation of it starting in late April through to early June.

I've read all sorts of articles on WalkHighlands and have enjoyed some of the discussions on the forum. I need to refresh / get up to speed with walking in Scotland. I won't need to bring my snake bandages, but I'm keen to find out how things have moved on since a pint was less than GBP2.

Thanks and all the best,

Bob
DardyBob
Walker

Re: New member from Perth. No, the other one

Postby Sgurr » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:50 pm

Welcome (back).We had a friend who emigrated to Oz not many years aftet he finished the Munros. I still have an "Old Hill Walkers" zoom with him and his new Oz wife plus another three walking friends from time to time and it is fascinating to hear their tales of walking out there. Not to my taste I'm afraid. Too jungly, too many snakes and too hot, though some of it LOOKS idyllic. Scottish National Trail sounds great.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...