walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hello all and thank you!

Hello all and thank you!

Postby Kaledonian » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:49 am

Hey guys, been using walk highlands as a resource for a few years now and to keep track of my hills. Not really a huge forum guy but I would like to thank you all for your walk reports, especially those that link different routes together as this helps with my own hill walking adventures.

Id like to contribute my own walk reports from time to time although I have no idea how folk post the route they have taken, not the most tech savvy person haha.

Anyways cheers for being great, you all are probably saving lives with your content.

Pete
Kaledonian
Hill Bagger

Munros:145   Corbetts:9
Fionas:8   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Hello all and thank you!

Postby jmarkb » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:46 am

Welcome to the forums!

Kaledonian wrote:Id like to contribute my own walk reports from time to time although I have no idea how folk post the route they have taken, not the most tech savvy person haha.

Here's some instructions for you:
  • Click on "GPS" at the top right of the Walkhighlands pages to open the maps
  • Draw your route using left mouse click to add waypoints. You can drag points around, add new intermediate points by dragging the squares, and delete points using the list on the left.
  • When you are finished drawing, go the box on the left, type in a name for the route instead of New Route (if you wish), then go to the bottom of the list of points and click on GPX where it says "Download as GPX or KML"
  • You will get a .gpx file saved in your default download location (probably Downloads folder, but depends on your setup)
  • When you post you report, click on "Upload photo or GPX file", then click on "Choose file" and find the saved .gpx file, and then click on "Add the file"
  • Use "Preview" to check it looks OK before submitting your report.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Kaledonian » Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:33 pm

Wow thank you. I had thought I would need a GPS tracker so it records as I walk :lol:

That's good to know, cheers.a
Kaledonian
Hill Bagger

Munros:145   Corbetts:9
Fionas:8   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:6   

Postby jmarkb » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:44 pm

No problem! There is also a "Draw Route" option when you post a report that does much the same and saves you from having to download and upload files. It also possible to upload GPX files generated by a GPS device if you have one!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...