walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Greetings from another highlands

Greetings from another highlands

Postby Mithrandandy » Tue May 10, 2022 2:53 pm

Hi, I am a British guy, okay, I admit, English guy and further admit, from Essex, who now finds himself living in Norway, so I guess I'm just lucky. The 'Lockdown' here was a bit more relaxed than that in the UK. The emphasis was on 'distancing', which is pretty easy over here and during that time, my wife and I took daily walks into the amazing countryside around us and began to explore its glories. We could follow elk, deer and lynx trails from our front door, into the hills directly behind our house and though they aren't the highest they have been high enough to keep us happy and could probably do this for the rest of our hillwalking lives. As a teenager, I was lucky enough to be selected to take part in a project to show other young diabetics that they could live an active, 'normal' life, which took place on the shore of Loch Tay, with hill-walking, canoeing, wind-surfing and other activities. For an Essex boy this was a revelation. I remember sitting on the minibus that took us from Stirling to Loch Tay with my mouth open; could hills be that high? That began a short but deep romance with Scotland that was unfortunately put aside by work and that thing that we call real life. I went back when I could but the dreams of actually living in a bit of that heaven, gave way to the more 'important realities' of making a living and being successful. I can't complain, as these things brought me to Norway, with a wife who had a greater appreciation of the really important things in life and a declining health that gave me more opportunities, if a lesser ability to enjoy the good stuff. I still miss Scotland, Norway might have higher and bigger, but somehow, Scotland still has the essence. I am now looking for ways to extend and exploit what I have around me to the utmost.
Mithrandandy
Mountain Walker

Re: Greetings from another highlands

Postby Sgurr » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:07 pm

Plane chaos and expensive petrol will make it even harder for you to get to Scotland, so your back door seems as good a substitute for the Highlands as there is. Better than mine, though rural Fife had a lot to offer in lockdown. You will just have to travel in imagination aided by some of these reports.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Re: Greetings from another highlands

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:58 pm

I've been to Norway frequently with work, but usually I would only see the airport, a taxi or coach to the port, then off to sea on a ship. During the pandemic I got to quarantine in a hotel inland near a lake with huge mountains and glaciers drooling over the edges of the escarpment. It was very impressive, as were the photos of enormous trout hanging in the hotel. Have you taken up fishing for trout and char in your adopted country? Fishing is a great way to see the countryside, watch wildlife, and if you're lucky you get a nice meal too. Don't be put off by expensive fishing tackle, you can get inexpensive tackle too. We stayed at the Skei Hotel by Lake Jolstravatnet, I think most folk just call it Lake Jolster. I like the Norwegian way of having turf on the roof; it insukates, muffles the sound of rain on the roof, and looks nice too.

Skei Map.jpg
Skei and Lake Jolstravatnet

Jostedalsbreen National Park Norway.jpg
Jostedalsbreen National Park

IMG_5898#p#r.jpg
Boat sheds with turf on the roof,
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...