walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Finger wagging bothy puritan

Finger wagging bothy puritan

Postby Mr Blobby » Sat May 14, 2022 1:39 pm

Hello

Great forum and website, thanks to everyone involved

I was motivated to create an account because I'm a finger wagging bothy puritan

And I'm posting here because i couldn't find the button to message a moderator

So, here comes the wagging finger:-

Your bothy info describes a bothy as "camping without a tent"

It then goes on to describe "the bothy code"

I've used bothies for three decades and there used to be a rule "always bring a tent" - this appears to be missing from your advice

Not wishing to enter into the "a bothy is never full" debate, suppose you arrive and find it's burned down? You need a tent, or at least a bivvy bag otherwise in these circumstances you might freeze to death, or, worse have to sleep with midges

I could go on moaning forever about the changes I've seen, but I'll leave it at this plus a request that "please conserve fuel by keeping fires small" and "don't light fires outside" should also get a look in - every tree within 100yd (when there's any) being turned into a stump, or indeed a wildfire is sure to get more places closed

What will the millions of airbnb users do then?
Mr Blobby
Wanderer

Re: Finger wagging bothy puritan

Postby Paul Webster » Sat May 14, 2022 8:49 pm

Presuming this is aimed at our bothy article from a few years back?

The phrase "camping without a tent" and of course the bothy code itself come from the Mountain Bothy Association itself. Walkhighlands' isn't involved in the writing of the bothy code, which as it stands doesn't state you must bring a tent. We do however support the MBA (also 30 years experience, and plenty of work parties and past work as a maintenance officer). We think it best to promote their official guidance in our old bothy article, rather than write our own guidance.

I can't personally remember there being a different bothy code, but if you'd like to see changes to the bothy code you could only achieve this through involvement with the MBA itself.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...