walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Need advice

Re: Need advice

Postby Low Level Walker » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:30 am

I am somewhat torn on whether or not to reply on this subject.

Can I assume that you and your family are already in the Fort William or surrounding area? Have you contacted the local housing association’s and DSS?

I certainly believe if you were to contact the relevant authorities and make them aware of your current situation then a solution will be found for you and your family.

Have you exhausted that possibility and been down that road?

Your opening post states about 2 dogs, you then reference a cat. Certainly with the dogs you may find it problematic to find a farmer agreeable to allow you to stay in field, especially if there is livestock about.

As others have stated. A Scottish winter is no way for any family to be living hand to mouth in a tent for nigh on four months. What about access to GP’s or chemists of yourself or kids need medical treatment?

What about the accommodation you have the now, can you not reach an agreement there to stay on and settle up when you recommence employment next year?

If you have exhausted all the solutions I have stated and your situation as is dire as you are portraying it then I would suggest contacting your local MP and the local press.

I wish you all the best for the future and hope you can find a solution.
Low Level Walker
Scrambler

Munros:12   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:9   Islands:3

Postby Ewen1966 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:30 am

Ewen1966
Mountain Walker

Munros:24   

Postby JWCW2014 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:13 pm

Agree with others - whilst some wild camping as a holiday could be enjoyable I think given the unpredictability of a Scottish winter you’re putting children at serious risk with this suggestion.

Helpful suggestions to contact highland council’s house team should be followed up as soon as possible. If you are concerned about temporary accommodation not allowing pets, many local authorities will support covering the costs of temporary kennels/catteries for people who are in temporary accommodation.

Wishing you all the best and understand how hard it must be - but you risk you children’s welfare with your proposed approach as well as risking social services being involved in assessing whether you your actions pose a question as to whether you are able to ensure your children’s welfare.

It would be worth speaking to your local citizens advice bureau as a first step - they will be able to advise on A range of things such as benefits, housing and grants that could help you and your family.

If you are in the country without right to remain there are similar advice agencies that could advise you (confidentially) and help you and your family.
JWCW2014
Walker

Munros:90   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   Donalds:1+0
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:11

Postby sleepygirl » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:01 pm

Low Level Walker wrote:I am somewhat torn on whether or not to reply on this subject.

Can I assume that you and your family are already in the Fort William or surrounding area? Have you contacted the local housing association’s and DSS?

I certainly believe if you were to contact the relevant authorities and make them aware of your current situation then a solution will be found for you and your family.

Have you exhausted that possibility and been down that road?

Your opening post states about 2 dogs, you then reference a cat. Certainly with the dogs you may find it problematic to find a farmer agreeable to allow you to stay in field, especially if there is livestock about.

As others have stated. A Scottish winter is no way for any family to be living hand to mouth in a tent for nigh on four months. What about access to GP’s or chemists of yourself or kids need medical treatment?

What about the accommodation you have the now, can you not reach an agreement there to stay on and settle up when you recommence employment next year?

If you have exhausted all the solutions I have stated and your situation as is dire as you are portraying it then I would suggest contacting your local MP and the local press.

I wish you all the best for the future and hope you can find a solution.

Thank you for taking the time to reply 👍
sleepygirl

Postby sleepygirl » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:06 pm

JWCW2014 wrote:Agree with others - whilst some wild camping as a holiday could be enjoyable I think given the unpredictability of a Scottish winter you’re putting children at serious risk with this suggestion.

Helpful suggestions to contact highland council’s house team should be followed up as soon as possible. If you are concerned about temporary accommodation not allowing pets, many local authorities will support covering the costs of temporary kennels/catteries for people who are in temporary accommodation.

Wishing you all the best and understand how hard it must be - but you risk you children’s welfare with your proposed approach as well as risking social services being involved in assessing whether you your actions pose a question as to whether you are able to ensure your children’s welfare.

It would be worth speaking to your local citizens advice bureau as a first step - they will be able to advise on A range of things such as benefits, housing and grants that could help you and your family.

If you are in the country without right to remain there are similar advice agencies that could advise you (confidentially) and help you and your family.

Thank you 👍
sleepygirl

Postby Colin1951 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:23 pm

I think camping right through the winter would be a very serious undertaking but from what you are saying you would fit the criteria for being a homeless family. Councils have a responsibility to help you. Try this link:

https://www.highland.gov.uk/info/997/housing_advice/245/homelessness

Not suggesting that will be hunky dory but it will protect your kids better.

Good luck.
Colin1951
Stravaiging

Munros:226   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:12
Walk wish-list

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:25 pm

Hi

Sorry for the delay. Was travelling today, but I've got home now. Here are some thoughts in response to the points you raise.

I've seen what others say on here. If I were in your shoes, personally I would try to get accommodation.

But the choice is yours, I respect that.

So if you plan to camp in winter near Fort William, here are my thoughts.

What sort of tent do you suggest?

Tents tend to be divided into those for backpacking and those where you go (usually by car) to a campsite. The former are lightweight and designed to be moved about, the latter are heavier. A "Campsite tent" would be better for living in but if you need to move from place to place that would be a real problem.

I would advise looking at campsites first of all. Are there any that would allow you to stay "off season" for a nominal fee for a long period? If you can get some kind of arrangement with a campsite, then go for the "Campsite tent". Popular makes are Quechua (decathlon own brand), Vango and Coleman. Look on Ebay to see if you can get one second hand. You may get a better deal looking at the end of the summer season when people having finished using them and are selling them. Yo umight even get an end-of-range new one for a bargain price.

Are hand cranked chargers any good?

I don't know, but there is an article here https://trailandsummit.com/hand-crank-phone-chargers-do-they-actually-work/

Is there any cheap places to stay you can recommend for is we need to get out the weather? That accept dogs and a cat?

try these http://fortwilliambackpackers.com/and https://www.ben-nevis-inn.co.uk/accommodation/

Any advice on the best type of clothing to keep us warm?

First priority if you are camping is sleeping bags that are warm enough. Get foam camping mats to put under them, that helps a lot in terms of insulating from the cold ground. Even bin liners (under the foam mats) are a help.

You may find it cheaper and warmer to have 2 cheaper sleeping bags each, one inside the other, rather than higher spec more expensive bags.

The main principle to bear in mind with keeping warm is: use things that trap air which helps the insulation. Fleeces and a woollen base layer under a waterproof coat are the best combination. You can sometimes get warm gloves, hats etc in the "middle aisle" at Aldi or Lidl, but goods like that tend to be very seasonal. Look in Oct/Nov.

I hope that helps. Most of all I hope that you find a way to get a roof over your head, but if that is not possible then I hope that has been of some use.

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby sleepygirl » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:36 pm

Thank you
HalfManHalfTitanium
I appreciate you taking the time to reply to me 🙏
sleepygirl

Postby Arthurs Eat » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:05 am

sleepygirl wrote:I understand its gonna be tough but to be honest we have no choice about it we have to wild camp throughout the winter, can maybe maybe afford a few nights here or there but that's it, miserable weather or not we will be camping

You say, you have no choice? Without going into detail and I do not ask you to, I would strongly advise you contact the local authority in your area. What you are suggesting may have serious implications for you and your family. The local authority have a duty to provide you with assistance.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:14   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby jamiecopeland » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:26 am

The backpackers hostel in Fort William offer free accomodation in return for your Work.
jamiecopeland

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...