walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Need advice

Need advice

Postby sleepygirl » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:52 pm

Hi, I'm new here :wave:
I'm looking for advice about winter wild camping in fort william
We are going to be long term camping with 2 kids and 2 dogs
I'm looking for any advice on keeping warm, safe areas/places to camp and the like, I appreciate any feed back, thank you for taking the time to read :thumbup:
sleepygirl

Re: Need advice

Postby helenw » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:16 pm

Wild camping is only allowed for 2 or 3 nights in one place in Scotland - see the Outdoor Access Code for details
helenw
Site Admin

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:19   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:93

Postby jmarkb » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:07 pm

Camping in winter in Scotland is likely to be pretty miserable experience unless you pick a good weather window. The long hours of darkness don’t help either.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby sleepygirl » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:48 pm

I understand its gonna be tough but to be honest we have no choice about it we have to wild camp throughout the winter, can maybe maybe afford a few nights here or there but that's it, miserable weather or not we will be camping
sleepygirl

Postby Mal Grey » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:56 pm

Hi & welcome

What do you mean by "in" Fort William (I presume the wider area?), and "long term" (a few days? a week?)?

A few days in a quiet glen a few miles from the road could be magical in the right weather, but wild camping without somewhere spacious to dry out, and with it being dark for up 16 hours a day can be difficult and unpleasant. That doesn't make it impossible, but will require a lot of planning and thought.

A bit more detail on your plans might get more relevant advice. Walking holiday? Kids ages?
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby sleepygirl » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:11 pm

Well from October till February we will be camping, the kids ages are 11 and 13, it's not so much a holiday as a necessity as we cannot afford accommodation in fort william throughout those months, we have accommodation untill then through work and by February all going well we will be able to get somewhere
sleepygirl

Postby Ewen1966 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:25 pm

sleepygirl wrote:Well from October till February we will be camping, the kids ages are 11 and 13, it's not so much a holiday as a necessity as we cannot afford accommodation in fort william throughout those months, we have accommodation untill then through work and by February all going well we will be able to get somewhere

Unless you have somewhere organised long term to pitch your tent, you'll have to move on every few days to be compliant with the access code. That is not conducive to an easy life. Doing it for a holiday is fine. I do it every month but for everyday life?
What sort of tent will you be using? It will have to be able to withstand long term use and UV and dampness.
What about lighting/heating for kids homework?
If you get wet can you get dry?
Charging?
Hygiene?
Contingency plans in case of storms, accidents?
Ewen1966
Mountain Walker

Munros:24   

Postby sleepygirl » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:55 pm

Ewen1966 wrote:
sleepygirl wrote:Well from October till February we will be camping, the kids ages are 11 and 13, it's not so much a holiday as a necessity as we cannot afford accommodation in fort william throughout those months, we have accommodation untill then through work and by February all going well we will be able to get somewhere

Unless you have somewhere organised long term to pitch your tent, you'll have to move on every few days to be compliant with the access code. That is not conducive to an easy life. Doing it for a holiday is fine. I do it every month but for everyday life?
What sort of tent will you be using? It will have to be able to withstand long term use and UV and dampness.
What about lighting/heating for kids homework?
If you get wet can you get dry?
Charging?
Hygiene?
Contingency plans in case of storms, accidents?

We will have back up money for emergencies, like I said we can afford a few nights here or there but that's it
I'm not bothered about having to move to a new spot every few days that's not a problem,
Keeping the kids warm and happy and healthy is all I'm worried about which is why I'm here asking for advice or hints and tips
We are used to camping as a family for holidays but not long term in winter in a town I barely know,
We don't drive so all travel is on foot, we will only have on us what we can carry
I understand this is a big undertaking
I'm doing as much research and planning as I can
What sort of tent do you suggest?
Are hand cranked chargers any good?
I'd go solar but I don't think I'll get much of a charge lol
Is there any cheap places to stay you can recommend for is we need to get out the weather? That accept dogs and a cat? I know that sounds odd but trust me the cat is more used to camping than the kids are
can you recommend any good spots for camping?
Any advice on the best type of clothing to keep us warm?
Thanks for your reply
sleepygirl

Postby Mal Grey » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:28 pm

Perhaps your best approach would be to find a friendly landowner/farmer who would allow you to use a bit of their land? There is nowhere within walking distance of the town itself that will be suitable for long term wild camping (I assume you or a partner need to go there regularly for work hence needing to be in the area?). Maybe find a local social media group/forum where you could ask about land?

You may be able to negotiate access to something like the Leisure centre for showers etc.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I'm not sure what you want to do is sensible or achievable if there is a proper winter this year.

I wish you the best of luck.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby sleepygirl » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:36 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Perhaps your best approach would be to find a friendly landowner/farmer who would allow you to use a bit of their land? There is nowhere within walking distance of the town itself that will be suitable for long term wild camping (I assume you or a partner need to go there regularly for work hence needing to be in the area?). Maybe find a local social media group/forum where you could ask about land?

You may be able to negotiate access to something like the Leisure centre for showers etc.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I'm not sure what you want to do is sensible or achievable if there is a proper winter this year.

I wish you the best of luck.

Unfortunately it's not about want and more about need.

I've actually just got on a farmers forum to look for exactly that, a wee corner in a wee field would be a lifesaver

I appreciate your reply
sleepygirl

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:48 pm

I’ll have a think about what would be most useful. Will reply tomorrow with my thoughts.

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby sleepygirl » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:09 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:I’ll have a think about what would be most useful. Will reply tomorrow with my thoughts.

Tim

Thank you
sleepygirl

Postby Ewen1966 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:42 pm

No transport means you are going to have to carry everything when you move so you are talking a rather smál, cramped and not very private tent.
I really would recommend trying to get a permanent base where you can put up a bigger tent and not have to move. I don't know if it is feasible to camp full time if there is a bad winter in a small tent.
Charging. Forget hand cranked stuff. You need access to mains to either charge gear or charge up power banks and power banks take time to charge. Forget solar. It is winter, in Scotland and you have to carry everything.
What about toilet facilities? We would use a trowel to dig a cat hole and move on every day.
Full time in a tent in the winter, not for me.
Ewen1966
Mountain Walker

Munros:24   

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:59 am

You can't expect kids to live in a tent all winter. They'll die. You sound like someone without a grasp on reality. Try explaining your situation to social services, they may be able to get accommodation for you.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby sleepygirl » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:59 am

No need to be rude though is there
sleepygirl

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...