walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hello

Hello

Postby duncanzuill » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:51 am

IMG_2137.jpeg

Hi everyone,

I'm a school teacher interested in outdoor learning, learning for sustainability and I run a campus rewilding project at my school. Only recently became interested in hill walking (very much a stroller of the lowlands) and I'm looking for support and advice on doing a hill walking challenge next year, the summer of 2023.

"The 40/50 Challenge".
I'm planning to do 50 munros in 40 days from (July 3rd to August 11th). I'll be using a bicycle, a tent, and the occasional hotel. I will be having rest days! I intend to raise money for charities but still in the thinking stage. I'm interested in planning the route carefully which I'm trying to make as logical as possible on a pushbike between the hills: Southern and Eastern Munros. Basically it's going to be all 7 Crianlarich Hills, all 6 Mamlorn Hills, the 5 Bridge of Orchy Hills, 8 Lawers Hills, 7 Rannoch and Glen Lyon Hills, 5 Tarf and Tilt Hills and 12 Southern Cairngorms (finish on Ben Avon). List below.

No records will be broken on this walk but for someone in his 50th year (born 1973), I think 50 munros in 40 days is a good challenge. I have some experience of this sort of thing, I walked the 88 Temple Pilgrimage in Shikoku, Japan. 600 miles in a monsoon with a 7kg tent (when that was a light tent!). I completed it in a month and a bit. So I know about this kind of fatigue and how to keep myself safe (at least there'll be no bears to worry about and much less rain). I'm still reasonably fit for walking/cycling though a touch of arthritis has taken all the fun out of running. I will be inviting others to take part, do a munro with me, do a few days if they have time. My partner Iricka will be there sometimes when her work allows though she says she might rather sit on a beach somewhere!! :lol:

50 Munros in 40 days in order of completion:

Beinn Chabhair Crianlarich Hills 
An Caisteal Crianlarich Hills 
Beinn a' Chroin Crianlarich Hills 
Cruach Ardrain Crianlarich Hills 
Beinn Tulaichean Crianlarich Hills 
Ben More (Crianlarich) Crianlarich Hills 
Stob Binnein Crianlarich Hills 
Ben Challum Mamlorn Hills 
Beinn Mhanach Bridge of Orchy Hills 
Beinn Dorain Bridge of Orchy Hills 
Beinn an Dothaidh Bridge of Orchy Hills 
Beinn Achaladair Bridge of Orchy Hills 
Beinn a' Chreachain Bridge of Orchy Hills 
Sgiath Chuil Mamlorn Hills 
Meall Glas Mamlorn Hills 
Creag Mhòr Mamlorn Hills 
Beinn Heasgarnich Mamlorn Hills 
Meall Ghaordie Mamlorn Hills 
Meall nan Tarmachan Lawers Hills 
Meall Corranaich Lawers Hills 
Beinn Ghlas Lawers Hills 
Ben Lawers Lawers Hills 
Meall a' Choire Leith Lawers Hills 
Meall Greigh Lawers Hills 
Meall Garbh (Lawers Hills) Lawers Hills 
An Stùc Lawers Hills 
Meall Buidhe, Perthshire Glen Lyon Hills 
Stuchd an Lochain Rannoch 
Meall na Aighean (Creag Mhor) Glen Lyon Hills 
Carn Mairg Glen Lyon Hills 
Meall Garbh (Glen Lyon) Glen Lyon Hills 
Beinn Dearg Tarf and Tilt Hills 
Càrn Liath (Beinn a' Ghlò) Tarf and Tilt Hills 
Carn nan Gabhar (Beinn a' Ghlò)  Tarf and Tilt Hills 
Beinn a Ghlo (third one) Tarf and Tilt Hills 
Càrn a' Chlamain Tarf and Tilt Hills 
An Sgarsoch Tarf and Tilt Hills 
Càrn an Fhidhleir Tarf and Tilt Hills 
Beinn Bhrotain Cairngorms 
Monadh Mòr Cairngorms 
Cairn Toul Cairngorms 
Sgòr an Lochain Uaine Cairngorms 
The Devil's Point Cairngorms 
Carn a' Mhaim Cairngorms 
Ben Macdhui Cairngorms 
Derry Cairngorm Cairngorms 
Beinn Bhreac Cairngorms 
Beinn a' Chaorainn Cairngorms 
Beinn a' Bhuird Cairngorms 
Ben Avon Cairngorms 

Those of you who know these hills (and how to get between them) might have some comments, so I'd be happy to hear your comments to help me plan the route better and if you would like to help me walk it then great!
duncanzuill
Walker

Munros:16   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   
Walk wish-list

Re: Hello

Postby tigerburnie » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:39 pm

Welcome and good luck
tigerburnie

Munros:6   

Re: Hello

Postby jmarkb » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:52 am

Welcome to WH!

duncanzuill wrote:The 40/50 Challenge".
I'm planning to do 50 munros in 40 days from (July 3rd to August 11th).

That's a great project to undertake! You have quite a leisurely schedule, I think, and the main problem will be carrying enough food and fuel, since resupply opportunities are limited, especially in the Cairngorms section. Something more like 25 days should be achievable and would weigh you down a lot less.

Your list of hills isn't quite in the most optimal order, but please do get back with more specific questions once you start your detailed route planning. You may find the mapping on this site helpful (click on GPS on the top menu bar). Some of the connections between hills are not well travelled so you should expect some rough pathless terrain in places, and you should perhaps consider working on (or brushing up) your navigation skills before next summer.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...