walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hello!

Hello!

Postby stixrooster » Wed May 11, 2011 10:21 am

New to the forum, but not to the hills.

Only came across this site in a search for info about our next jolly, and found plenty, so thanks to everyone who contributes.

If anyone has any advice about the Lochaber Traverse, then shout up, you've only got a week or so as we'll be heading up there next Friday. It looks as though underfoot conditions are pretty good, very different to this time last year, I'm just hoping for a decent weather window after this weekends grotty forecast.

Cheers

Roost
stixrooster
Munro compleatist

Munros:6   
Hewitts:39
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Hello!

Postby Holly » Wed May 11, 2011 6:43 pm

Hi, Im the newcomer that joined just before you and noticed you mentioned Lochnagar. Ive been up and down there a few times now and the traverse of the Munros around it. Im no expert but when I did the traverse I went clockwise keeping Lochnagar for last and coming down the Ladder.
I walked along Loch Muick till you take the high path (left at the path when you see the loch and head that way) and its pretty much an easy round after that and if you want a wee detour there is a top that has the remains of a plane for a bit of interest.
Going this way also givesa wee bit of a sense of safety if the weather comes down. Maybe thats me but navigating up there is a must when the clouds come down and I did need my map and compass (well Ive needed it more than once up there but anyway). If its wet and sludgy then coming down the ladder eliminates a lot of that although the beautiful descent into Loch Muick down the waterfall is lovely too BUT, if you are doing them all then,,, .
Anyway thats my tuppence worth. If there is a problem there are a few escape routes which are gorgeous in their own right so it wont spoil it for you if you need to come back down early but like I said Ive been up and down that way a few times now so I try to vary it!
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby stixrooster » Thu May 12, 2011 9:31 am

Ta, but its Lochaber not Lochnagar, sounds nice though!
stixrooster
Munro compleatist

Munros:6   
Hewitts:39
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Holly » Thu May 12, 2011 12:29 pm

Oh silly silly me! I need to wear my glasses when Im on here ,, sorry!
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby HighlandSC » Thu May 12, 2011 12:47 pm

Welcome :)

What is the Lochaber Traverse?

Suggest you post a question about it in the general forum- few will see it hidden in here.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...