walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

HI, FROM MIDLOTHIAN

HI, FROM MIDLOTHIAN

Postby nancyw » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:05 pm

Hi folks. new to this site and am not a serious walker. Although I do my best I have heart failure and can't always manage as much as I would like to, although I DO push myself to my limits and sometimes beyond!!
Am just back from a wonderful holiday in Skye. Managed to walk out to Neist Point which was awesome. Was particularily entranced by the Cairns and would love to know more about them. Can't really believe they are just erected by walkers who have made it out to the Point!!! For me they had an eerie, almost mystic feel. Who built the first one, how did the tradition start? Why?? Anyone know??
Would have loved to manage some of the other walks on Skye but, unfortunately, this was the only "real" walk I managed and that resulted in having to use my GTN spray twice to get back up the cliff to the lighthouse!!! I did manage a Gorge walk with my daughter and 4 Grandchildren as well as a bit of a "yomp" through the heather!! Kids loved it cos they were encouraged to get wet and dirty. I firmly believe all kids should be encouraged to walk and if they get soaked or muddy, so what. They wash and so do there clothes. Wellies took a while to dry out though. Parts of the gorge they were in over the wellies up to the oxters!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyway, you now know a wee bit about me and the type of thing I like to do so keep me posted on any of the easier walks you come across and think I might manage. I am to be found every Sunday out for a walk with my daughter and the grandchildren in and around midlothian. We tend to stick to railway walks etc, especially if there happens to be a river nearby where everyone can get wet!!! My daughter has Fibromyalgia and struggles a bit too so if you spot two very unfit females struggling on a walk somewhere with four kids ranging between 14 and 7 its probably us!! Especially if everyone is dripping wet!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
nancyw

Re: HI, FROM MIDLOTHIAN

Postby canisp » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:55 pm

Hello nancy :) and welcome to walkhighlands

nancy wrote:Kids loved it cos they were encouraged to get wet and dirty

Ours didn't need encouragement i'm sure they did it deliberately to wind us up :lol:
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:50 pm

Welcome to the site.Up around Braemar there are some excellent walks beside the River Dee and the Lui Water (a tributary of the Dee) near the Linn O' Dee. These are low-level,with no great rise in elevation, no steep slopes but lovely scenery through old Caledonian pine forest with waterfalls and loads of wildlife - deer, eagle, osprey, buzzard, falcon, etc.
The whole of Deeside has such areas, Loch Muick (pron. Mick) near Ballater is very popular, as is Rothiemurchus, over by Aviemore.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby cjwaugh » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:27 pm

Welcome to the site :D
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Postby sloosh » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:03 am

Hiya. :)
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...