walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

New `Walker`

Re: New `Walker`

Postby maddjock » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:26 am

fyrish is a great wee hill, my mate has been up on his bike a few times as well, but i prefer to walk...have done it a fair few times now...
the story behind the monument is pretty cool

is this now the longest hello thread...
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Postby zebidee1 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:24 am

Cheers Madjock, for my morning read, very interesting indeed. Damned if I would carry, push, pull those big lumps of stone up the hill. Kind of sceptical about the bit where it said that Sir Hector Munro had `with help`, pushed the stones back downhill so the he could pay the locals twice for getting them back up. :shock:

Glad I`m a record breaker. :D
zebidee1
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   

Postby Tenbob » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:47 pm

Cheers Maddjock, that story was pretty neat. I'd never known it's real reason for being there. Rumour around Invergordon when I was wee was that it was a primitive Fire Station! And, yes, I was that gullible!

My own thoughts prior to reading that story was that it was some sort of dodgy religious-cult temple where they sacrificed goats and witches! Yeah, I got some weird-ass imagination, I maybe should have just carried on believing the Fire Station myth!
Tenbob

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...