walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

New Girl!

New Girl!

Postby missMHK » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:05 am

Hi all,

I've only recently taken up hillwalking as i'm getting myself fit for the Himalaya this Nov. So far I've only climbed Goatfell (twice), Ben Vane - my favourite so far, 3/4 of Ben Ime (mission aborted due to weather & someone else's knee packing in), Ben Lomond & Ben Nevis.

We're heading to Glencoe straight from work today & hope to do the Pap of Glencoe tomorrow and the Cobbler on the way back home on Sunday. The Aonach Eagagh ridge has been looking very tempting these last few months but think I'll wait until I'm a wee bit more confident.

I'm glad I signed up for the Himalayan thing because otherwise I might not have discovered the walking & camping - previous to that T in the Park was the extent of my camping experience & that's a whole different story!

Hope to put some photos and stuff on soon.
missMHK

Munros:11   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:1

Re: New Girl!

Postby Michelle » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:32 pm

Hey there, and welcome! :D

Have a good time in Glencoe- hope you get the chance to go up the Pap as it's a great hill, honestly I've forgotten how many times I've climbed it now!! And with any luck you'll get a better day than I had on the Cobbler- so cloudy that for all I know I coulda been standing anywhere! :?
Michelle
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:9
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:14

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:12 pm

Hi MissMHK and welcome to Walkhighlands!

Glad to hear you are getting into the outdoors - where are you going in the Himalaya?
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby zebidee1 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:36 pm

Hello, welcome along.

:D
zebidee1
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   

Postby mountain coward » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:40 pm

Hi and welcome... while you're going up the Pap of Glencoe anyway, before you go, have a read of my 'Aonach Eagach for Cowards' (written in about January). You could easily get to the first 2 peaks before the pinnacles and then you can easily pick up the second Munro at a later date from the back via the Kinlochleven road. Enjoy anyway - whatever you go and do next...
mountain coward

Postby missMHK » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:58 am

Thanks for the welcomes!

Paul - it's the anna purna range, starting & ending in pokhara. we're taking young people currently living in care to give them a wee boost & something to focus on. Have you been??

mountain coward - read your report - very helpful cheers! stealth mode may be the way forward..

michelle - no such luck - visibility on the cobbler about 10ft!!

I'm off to figure out how to do a report & put photos on now..
missMHK

Postby Tenbob » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:06 pm

missMHK wrote:we're taking young people currently living in care to give them a wee boost & something to focus on.

Hat off to you, that's fantastic. Welcome to the site.
Tenbob

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby legendaryjordan » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:08 pm

Tenbob wrote:
missMHK wrote:we're taking young people currently living in care to give them a wee boost & something to focus on.

Hat off to you, that's fantastic. Welcome to the site.

Yeah well done!! Hopefully you'll be teaching the future of hillwalkers!
legendaryjordan
Mountaineer

Postby missMHK » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:48 am

Thanks Tenbob & legendaryjordan! It really was a moment of madness rather than a thought process that led me to sign up, but sometimes you surprise yourself don't you!

Turns out I'm an outdoors kind of girl - who'd have thought! Also, more surprisingly, the kids seem to like me - maybe your suggestion is not so far fetched legendaryjordan! I'll wait & see if I survive the next few months before getting carried away though!
missMHK

Postby HighlandSC » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:38 pm

Welcome missMHK :D

Nice to see another newbie get addicted to all these outdoor adventures/hill walking :thumbup:

I've done a couple of hills now and have definitely got the taste for it! Well done on the himalayan thing - I'm sure you'll all have a great time.

Nice reports from the Pap of Glencoe and The Cobbler; they're very high on my hitlist :D
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:46 pm

Yes, I have been to Pokhara and trekked in the Annapurna area. I'm sure both you and the kids will have a great time.

The locals are so incredibly friendly there. And I remember ordering a pot of mint tea and the lady wondered off up a hill, to return with the leaves she'd collected to make the tea (and at another place they went to dig potatos for us!) Oh, and the scenery isn't bad, either :lol:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...