walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Oh Deer !

Oh Deer !

Postby coley10 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:49 am

Hello, i am a new member, joining today.
My husband and me (and our 2 German Pointers) take our hoilday each year in the Highlands, up till now we have always stayed around the Loch Ness and Black Isle areas and we now want to explore a bit further north, Sutherland/Caithness.
Last year, however, we almost lost one of our dogs near Fort Augustus - she has taken a shine to chasing deer, which are in abundance in this area and she was missing for a whole day (very stressful!).
Despite us since taking her to gun dog training school we are very worried that history may repeat itself and so my question is, can anyone give me some advice regarding deer in this part of the Higlands? For example are they as prevalent this far north as they are in other parts? Although we enjoy beach and coastal walks (which are usually deer-free!) we would like the option to find some inland or hill walks as well
As a stranger to this particular area of Scotland, if anyone can give me any guidance I would be so grateful
thanks
coley10
Mountaineer

Re: Oh Deer !

Postby spiderwebb » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:04 pm

Hi,
Having been in the same situation with a lost dog (see my post) missing for 4 days and nights !!! I know how it feels. That said plenty of support from this site for assistance coming to help and the dog turned up in a familiar spot as did another I helped look for (lost for 5 nights). So don't panic and mine (well one at least) is smart enough to realise she won't catch them...unfortunately its the other bugger (who got lost) that hasn't worked this out yet !

That said I've walked a few time up that area, both the caves walks near Inchnadamph, Stac Polly etc. and although never seen deer on either of these walks they are pretty widespread. Best suggestion is to walk where you'll have sight of them a good way off and lead up before you get near. My dogs being Springers have been within 15 yards of pheasants on a track and not seen them because they are too busy with their noses to the ground !!

The Ullapool road from Inverness at dusk and into the night can be high on deer numbers but as with most areas they retreat to higher ground at day time, hence my advice to keep a look out and pick walks whereby you'll be able to see a good distance in advance i.e. up an unwooded glen etc.

Depends on your dogs of course and how far off they'll go. maybe they need a close encounter to appreciate how big these deer can be, as happened to mine walking up Ord Hill near Muir Of Ord when a stag strolled out not 20 fet away in front of us. We both froze as it was a stag with a good set of antlers (my immediate thought being s&*t, thats big !)! I was working out where to run to as the stag didn't budge, and dog must have thought the same as she simply watched it walk calmy into the woods and once gone she had a sniff where it had been but didn't go after it, much to my suprise :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby coley10 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:30 pm

Thanks for your reply - i can't imagine 4 days without my dog, you must have been distraught. One of my dogs is relatively sensible, but it's the younger one i am worried about - she has chased roe deer as well, but it was red deer the day we lost her, she is totally unfazed! They both love the freedom that the highland walks offer so they tend to venture away from us a fair bit, so it's too late to do anything once the chase is on!
coley10
Mountaineer

Postby Alastair S » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:04 pm

We were staying in a cottage in Lochinver (which is north of Ullapool and is a large village/small town) and we had deer in the garden in the early morning. The far north is so lowly populated (by people) that deer can turn up nearly anywhere. However you are more likely to see them at either end of the day so if you can plan your walks for the middle of the day. Its a really beautiful area - an excellent area for holidaying - so I hope to do make it up there.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby soulminer » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:20 pm

Agree with AlastairS, and Spiderwebb- the area around Lochinver and onward to Ullapool is well populated by Red Deer at dawn and dusk, Have only seen deer higher up during the day.

Check out some of the walks-
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/ullapool/
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/sutherland/

Hope you, and your pointers, enjoy your holiday. :thumbup:
soulminer

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:53 pm

coley10 wrote:we almost lost one of our dogs near Fort Augustus - she has taken a shine to chasing deer, which are in abundance in this area and she was missing for a whole day (very stressful!).

You should keep your dogs on leads when out on the hills; they can't help themselves chasing livestock and scaring ground-nesting birds off their nests. Farmers and gamekeepers can and do shoot dogs which torment livestock and wildlife.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby PhilTurner » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:12 pm

There's a link to the dog-specific section of the Scottish Outdoor Access Code at the bottom of many Walkhighlands pages. Well worth a read if you're planning to take a dog into the Scottish countryside.
PhilTurner

Munros:42   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:26   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...