walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hello everyone

Hello everyone

Postby highlandspirit » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:23 pm

Just a quick line to say hello to everbody on the site, i'm off to Glencoe next week for a few days, haven't been to the beautiful region for about 3 years now since i first fell in love with the Highlands. Could anybody recommend a introduction walk, nothing too strenuous, i'm also looking to camp overnight, i was thinking maybe The Pap of Glencoe but any suggestions would be most welcome, hopefully be able to get some nice pics so as to blog my first review. 8)
highlandspirit
Mountaineer

Re: Hello everyone

Postby Stretch » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:43 pm

Welcome to the site! I recently camped down Glen Etive and it was fab until a group of about 15 invaded my space. There are plenty of spots along the river there however that will only fit one or two tents so you could get one of those. It's a great central location as well to do the Buachailles, Creise, or something like Ben Starav which I did from that spot. If you want a pay site you could go to the Red Squirrel closer to Glencoe village. I haven't climbed the Pap but it looks straightforward enough. Buachaille Etive Beag wasn't too hard neither and it gives you 2 munros.

Stretch
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby mountain coward » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:04 am

The Pap is okay but the rock is loose towards the top - providing you're climbing it on your own, you shouldn't have any problems of people rolling boulders towards you like I had! Just don't descend the top part in front of anyone! :D

As well as the Munros, there's quite a few easy Corbetts in Glencoe - Beinn a' Chrulaiste is very straight forward - it's the one opposite Buachaille Etive Mor - across the road... There's also quite a few Corbett-sized hills go from the top of the Devil's Staircase (at Altnafeadh) and towards the Aonach Eagach - I did that once with my friend (he went on the first part of the Aonach Eagach ridge - I just wanted to have a look out of curiousity). It is very easy and straightforward all the way to Am Bodach and then you can either descend back down the corrie before that and walk back up the road (or Gen. Wade's road - the boggy, grassy one parallel to it), or just reverse your route (not boring).

There's also an easy Corbett next to Sgorr na h'Ulaidh - think it's called Meall Ligiche or suchlike. Sgorr na h'Ulaidh itself was easy too...

Hope you find something nice - have fun... and welcome to the site!
mountain coward

Postby highlandspirit » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:50 am

Stretch, mountain coward, thank you for your warm welcome, i will be on my own so no danger of anybody hurtling boulders down on me :lol:
Stretch, i did look at Buachaille Etive Beag and may well decide on that one, would it be suitable for an overnight camp? I just want to spend a night out in the glorious wilds, sit outside my tent in the early hours and enjoy the vast nothingness that is the highlands (am i the only one that feels this way?) :?
highlandspirit
Mountaineer

Postby Stretch » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:47 am

You are certainly not the only person who wants to escape to the highlands for some relief from the real world :lol:

I suppose you could camp down the glen along the path that takes you up the BeB, but it was rather boggy in places and I would suggest going down the Glen Etive road and choosing one of the spots along the River Etive. It would only take you 5-6 mins by car to drive around to the start of the path up BeB and you still get the feeling of 'nothingness' as long as a herd of people don't crash your campsite.But it is a fairly popular stretch when the weather is nice. The BeB itself wasn't too hard a trek. Boggy path for a ways, and then up some stone steps for much of the ascent to the bealach between the munros. Take 5 there and then choose which one of the two you want to do first, they are equal in steepness if I remember, but your up them in no time. Great 360 degree views to all the hotspots in the area from both summits!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby yokehead » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:33 pm

Hi, welcome to the site and you are not alone in enjoying just sitting and looking! 8)

How about the Lost Valley for the overnight camp? Have only walked through myself but I reckon it would be a winner for a stay over. Hope you have a great trip whatever you decide.
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby highlandspirit » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:53 pm

Yokehead, thanks for the idea, The Lost Valley is one of the walks that Ive printed off and it looks and sounds a lovely trip, so I shall bear it in mind, I suppose the final decision will be made once I get there and find out what the weather is going to be like, I haven't managed to get a decent enough forecast yet, if its lashing it down then the overnight may have to wait, I'm keeping my fingers crossed though. I'm just counting the days down to when I go, I've only got 2 more working days so using the time to get last minute bits and pieces but I'm just itching to get back to "The Highlands, my spiritual home".
Anybody going up there this week, have a wonderful time and stay safe.
highlandspirit
Mountaineer

Postby yokehead » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:18 pm

I'll keep fingers crossed for you with the weather, enjoy yourself. I wish I was going myself! Let us know how you get on, post some reports.
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby zebidee1 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:12 pm

Hello mate, welcome along.

Take it you survived the trip then ? Hope it went welll.

:D
zebidee1
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...