walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Newish newbie

Newish newbie

Postby weemistermac » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:25 am

I joined a few weeks ago and have posted a few reports but thought it was about time I said hello.

I'm Stuart, a sculptor living and working on the western slope of Ben Rinnes in Ballindalloch, Speyside. Born in Aberdeen but dad and the Gordon Highlanders dragged us around the world for a while and I spent 20+ years living in and around London. I moved back to Scotland in February for a bunch of reasons – it was always home for me no matter where I lived! But I figured if I was ever going to see all the vistas the hills have to offer I was going to need to be a wee bit closer than 600 miles! I'm loving being back. I've done so many hills where you can't see your hand in front of your face and now I have the fortune of being able to reach the hills as soon as I hear those all important fair weather reports. My constant walking companion is Barnie, my 5yo chocolate labrador.

After years of having to keep my excitement mostly to myself with a collection of dog-eared Landrangers and a 1976 version of the SMC Munros book, I've now discovered WalkHighlands.co.uk and I love it. What a fantastic site! Apart from all the wee red flags to spur me on I've also discovered the forum and everyone else's reports, which I'm thoroughly enjoying. If I'd sat down for about 12 years and tried to figure out what I'd want to have in a walker's website, it's all here.

Thanks to everyone involved for coming up with the site and I look forward to years of walking geekiness!

Stuart
weemistermac

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Newish newbie

Postby sloosh » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:33 am

:lol:

Hello. :)

I enjoyed your Sgor Gaoith report although it did take me a wee while to work out which way you had gone up.
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:38 am

Greetings ! Speyside, eh? Can you smell the distilleries from there? :D
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby weemistermac » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:36 pm

I can indeed smell the distilleries! My (almost) next door neighbour is Glenfarclas and I'm staggering/sniffing distance to/from Cragganmore, Glenlivet, Aberlour, Cardhu, Tormore etc etc... I said I had a great number of reasons for moving back up here! :thumbup:
weemistermac

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby mountain coward » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:44 am

Must have been awful being exiled in London! When I first read your post I was thinking 'But I'm sure he's been on here ages!' :)
mountain coward

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...