walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

hi from the isle of man

hi from the isle of man

Postby madmanxman » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:07 pm

just joined this great site! am lone walker, just back xmas eve from 2 weeks in lakes & 1 week in scotland. done first munros (beinn ghlas & ben lawers) to do first munros in winter conditions on a perfect day (sunday 13th dec) was a totally unforgettable & emotional experience. i just did not want the day to end! few beers back at killin hotel rounded off a truly wonderful day. planned to do round of tarmachan next morning, but was forced to backtrack between meall nan tarmachan & meall garbh due to whiteout. what a difference a day makes! stopped & climbed ben wyvis on way to kinlochewe hotel from inverness on 17th. had hoped to climb ben eighe & liathach, but arrival of first snow of the winter put paid to that! looking up at liathach from glen torridon with a blizzard just about to start is enough to make a lone novice (winter novice) climber head for the nearest pub. after two days of low level walking in snow & ice it was time to start heading south if i was to make it home for xmas ( it's my daughters 18th on xmas eve) and forecast is for heavy snow. stopped at cluanie inn for two nights but weather was against me again. had to retreat from attempt at a'chralaig due to poor visibility & deep snow. stopped for two nights (21& 22 ) in keswick on way back to isle of man. on 22nd drove to seathwaite farm ( could not have made it without 4x4) and tried to summit scawfell, but in horrible,deep powder snow only got to the shelter at calf cove. sounds like i didn't have the best of weather,but i loved every second! anyway first two weeks in the lakes were 70% good,dry & crisp. besides, i would have sat on broken glass in a dark cave for three weeks just for that once in a lifetime moment on top of ben lawers, when the world was immaculate, my heart melted and a tear rolled down my cheek.....must have been a bit of grit.
p.s. am going to sell my motor bike a.s.a.p and head for the torridon mountains in february because after seeing them i can't sleep at night....must be love..love
madmanxman
Hill Bagger

Munros:145   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:21   

Re: hi from the isle of man

Postby Alan S » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:16 pm

Hi welcome to the site
sounds like you had an interesting week
Well done on getting you first munros done especially in this weather sounds like you have caught the bug :)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby madmanxman » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:06 pm

thanks for the welcome alan, it's the first e:mail i've ever received....made up!
madmanxman
Hill Bagger

Postby Paul Webster » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:02 pm

Hi madmanxman

Does sound like you've been seriously bitten by that hillwalking bug. Take care if you go to Torridon in the winter though - alot of those ridge traverses are quite technical at that time of year :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby mountain coward » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:13 am

Aye, the Torridonian mountains keep me awake at night as well! :o In fact, they give me nightmares!

Welcome to the site anyway... you have some great walking on the Isle of Man - I went a few years running and really enjoyed your hills and especially getting to Druidsdale - a lovely desolate place!
mountain coward

Postby madmanxman » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:48 am

thanks paul & mountain coward, i'll be very careful, do plenty of reseach & maybe hire a guide for a really tricky one! i'm going not far from druidale today m/c, from laxey up on to north barrule. sun just starting to rise....bliss
madmanxman
Hill Bagger

Postby mountain coward » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:22 am

I loved the N Barrule ridge - I did it a few times, once with my parents and friend Richard from Ramsey - they turned back down the valley to Laxey while I carried on over Clagh Ouyr? and on to Snaefell. But I think my favourite walk of all was walking over Snaefell from Laxey, down past the reservoir to Druidsdale and then up on the mountains to the north of there, eventually getting down to get the bus back from the north of the island. I just loved that area of hills to the north of Druidsdale - very lonely feeling - beautiful.
mountain coward

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...