walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hello from Aberdeen

Hello from Aberdeen

Postby Martyn83 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:47 pm

Thought I'd drop me and get signed up :)

My friend Ryan and I have decided to aim for 52 Munros in 2013. Up until deciding on this (at Hogmanay) neither of us had achieved a single Munro. We managed to complete Mount Keen earlier today. Looking forward to trying Driesh and Mayar next weekend!
Martyn83
Mountain Walker

Munros:10   

Re: Hello from Aberdeen

Postby ali607 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:12 pm

Hi Martyn,
Well I'm not bagging munros as such but I wouldnt mind doing a few of the easier ones if you ever want some company. I'm in Inverness and so might be sometimes en route. :)
ali607
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:6
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:24   Hewitts:2

Postby Hill-loving lady » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:15 pm

ali607 wrote:Hi Martyn,
Well I'm not bagging munros as such but I wouldnt mind doing a few of the easier ones if you ever want some company. I'm in Inverness and so might be sometimes en route. :)

Welcome to you both - I'm half-way between you at Dufftown, so am happy to car share any time we are heading to the same area/hills

Hazel
Hill-loving lady
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:17
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Martyn83 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:10 pm

Thanks for the welcome folks!

Really can't wait to get back out on the hills. Had a day off work today to recover from the weekends activities and already counting down to next weekend!

We've set up a wee blog which is in my profile - will be doing quick write ups and uploading pics from our Munro adventures there. Maybe see a few of you out on the hills :)
Martyn83
Mountain Walker

Postby baszuckibagger » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:09 pm

Hi Martyn,

Welcome

I live in Inverurie and work in Aberdeen. Bit of a keen walker done a few munroes over the last year but sometimes not easy getting company- might meet up with you guys - keen to increase my numbers this year.

Cheers

Graham
baszuckibagger
Mountain Walker

Munros:35   

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:30 pm

baszuckibagger wrote:Hi Martyn,

Welcome

I live in Inverurie and work in Aberdeen. Bit of a keen walker done a few munroes over the last year but sometimes not easy getting company- might meet up with you guys - keen to increase my numbers this year.

Cheers

Graham

It's amazing how you mention Mount Keen and suddenly you find every sentence has the word keen in it!

I'm the Ryan Martyn spoke about and thought I'd just pop my hello in here as well.

Always happy for others to join us on the walks as long as you don't mind bad hill related puns (to be fair Keen is the only one we've thought up so far) and occasionally taking the wrong turn.

We try and walk most weekends and as Martyn said this weekend is Mayar and Driesh. Haven't made specific plans yet but gives one of us a shout if you are interested.
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Martyn83 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:30 pm

Fit likey? :lol:
Martyn83
Mountain Walker

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:50 pm

Martyn83 wrote:Fit likey? :lol:

Why hello there. Looks like you are the friendliest person on the site, no-one else has said hello to me :(
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Postby keithmctaggart » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:28 pm

What are the conditions on Mt Keen as I plan to go up on Sunday?

Cheers

Keith
keithmctaggart
Mountain Walker

Munros:22   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:38 am

keithmctaggart wrote:What are the conditions on Mt Keen as I plan to go up on Sunday?

Cheers

Keith

Sorry Keith just noticed your post. For what it's worth we found it to be pretty snowy but not that bad in terms of ice. The path to Keen is pretty clear, muddy and snowy in patches but nothing to write home about. I didn't have and didn't feel the need for axe / crampons.

If you went today would you agree with what I said? Interested to get someone else's perspective.
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Postby keithmctaggart » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:12 pm

Yeah I did Mt Keen yesterday (Sunday) but found the going tough around half way up past the small zig zag section of the track, kept on sinking down to my knees in snow....up n down in around 5.5 hrs....beautiful day with no wind but the soft snow was a killer. Might try Driesh & Mayer next time, see how the weather goes.

Keith
keithmctaggart
Mountain Walker

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:57 pm

keithmctaggart wrote:Yeah I did Mt Keen yesterday (Sunday) but found the going tough around half way up past the small zig zag section of the track, kept on sinking down to my knees in snow....up n down in around 5.5 hrs....beautiful day with no wind but the soft snow was a killer. Might try Driesh & Mayer next time, see how the weather goes.

Keith

Quite proud to say I know exactly where you are. There was patches of ankle deep sinking on our walk but for the most part it was pretty solid. You still made better time than us ;)

We are taking a week off this week but are going to meet up to plan our hills for the year. If people want to walk with us and are free this Saturday then let us know so we can meet before going on the hills and get to know each other a bit.
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Postby keithmctaggart » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:37 am

I was thinking of maybe doing Schiehallion on Saturday, but as I'm doing it on my own I am a bit wary due to the snowy conditions. Where you thinking of doing a Munro on Saturday?
keithmctaggart
Mountain Walker

Postby chris101 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:50 pm

Hi guys, Im also in Aberdeen and out walking a lot of weekends. If you have any plans feel free to give me a shout. Share lift / petrol etc

Cheers
Chris
chris101
Munro compleatist

Munros:102   Corbetts:2

Postby Martyn83 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:53 pm

Hi Chris,

Haven't logged in for a while but have been reading some of the reports etc.

Sounds like a plan - certainly there have been plenty of offers to join other locals on walks etc so maybe something we can look at :)
Martyn83
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...