walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hi from down here .......

Hi from down here .......

Postby Mike.whitley » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:01 am

Just joined as I am about to depart on a 2 week holiday to Glen Sheil, and hoping to walk/scramble (weather permitting); the Forcan Ridge, the 5 Sisters, Sgurr Nan Gillean. I live down in the dungeons of rural Surrey, but am allowed from time to time to escape to the heights of N Wales, the Lake District, and Scotland.
I am 61 (yes, 61!) and discovered mountains rather late in life, and it is frustrating to live down here when THEY are up there!
Anyway, I have heard that the footbridge on the path to Sgurr Nan Gillean (over the Alt Dearg?) has collapsed and the river is impassable when in spate; is this true? Is there no other way over the river? If so, I will have to find another Cuillin to climb!

Cheers,

Mike Whitley
Mike.whitley

Re: Hi from down here .......

Postby johnj » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:12 pm

I think there was a report on it back in July, Mike, but I believe it was still usable with care - it may have been repaired by now - Paul would be able to tell you more its in his backyard

I'm also 61 and still walking - not quite as far south as you - I'm in Swindon

Enjoy your trip - I did Glen Shiel last year in August - got driven off the Five Sisters by rain and high winds - depending on where you're staying you can get an express bus to the start of the walk although its fairly expensive - they charge a fiver from one end of Glen Shiel to the other. :)
johnj

Munros:5   Corbetts:4

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:57 pm

Hi Mike and welcome. Hope you have a great trip and post a few of your exploits and photos for us!

The bridge has not yet been repaired. It is usually possible to ford the river a little further upstream (without disturbing whoever is staying in the white cottage at the time) - however it might be impossible after rains. At least if you are doing Sgurr nan Gillean you can find out in the morning and not at the end of the day so shouldn't be trapped (unless it rains all day, of course!)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:66   Donalds:43
Sub 2000:115   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:134   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby wandererjon » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:12 pm

Hi Mike. You'll like it here, even for somebody, like me, who doesn't get to the Highlands as much as they would like its nice to just read about the experiences of others; and look at the wonderful photos as well!! :D
Dirk Winter has posted a photo of the bridge in the Bruach na Frithe thread, on the specific walks forum. It doesn't look too clever!! :(
wandererjon

Munros:4   
Grahams:12   
Hewitts:15

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...