walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

New boy

New boy

Postby stevemitch53 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:22 pm

Hi all, just discovered your site.

I haven't done much walking in Scotland, but this summer myself and a friend are planning to walk from John O'Groats to Lands End in aid of Cancer research, so hopefully you lot will show us the way. Any advice or tips would be welcomed. :shock:
stevemitch53
Scrambler

Re: New boy

Postby walk aboot » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:23 pm

Hi :)

Great fund-raiser :thumbup: Two of my uncles did it (jogging) about thirty years ago. They relayed I think, are you two doing the same?
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby stevemitch53 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:20 am

Hi

No we're not relaying, were doing the whole thing together, starting July, it should take about 10 weeks. We plan to keep off the roads wherever possible or practical.
We intend to heavily publicise it to enable us to raise as much cash for Cancer Research as possible.
If anyone wanted to join us en route for certain stages, that would be excellent.
stevemitch53
Scrambler

Postby sloosh » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:09 pm

Hello. :)

Quite a task you've set yourselves! :shock: How does that work then? A support team driving a campervan type approach or...?
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby stevemitch53 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:05 pm

Afraid not, no support, just our little legs carrying us and our kit. Your right it is a hell of a challenge but for a good cause.
Without Cancer Research I wouldn't be here. 12 months ago I was diagnosed with Leukaemia with a 1 in 3 chance of survival. I got out of hospital 19 weeks ago after receiving a Bone Marrow Transplant and loads of chemo.
It's time I gave something back. :D :? :sick: :thumbup: :wave:
stevemitch53
Scrambler

Postby sloosh » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:16 pm

stevemitch53 wrote:Afraid not, no support, just our little legs carrying us and our kit. Your right it is a hell of a challenge but for a good cause.
Without Cancer Research I wouldn't be here. 12 months ago I was diagnosed with Leukaemia with a 1 in 3 chance of survival. I got out of hospital 19 weeks ago after receiving a Bone Marrow Transplant and loads of chemo.
It's time I gave something back.

Sorry to hear you were diagnosed with Leukaemia. I hope you get the all clear if you haven't already had it. :thumbup:

Not trying to be a tosser here but are you sure your body is up to putting yourself through such a gruelling challenge? :? I mean, there are other things you could do that, although challenging, do not require the same sustained level of exertion over such a prolonged period. Three Peaks, for example. Brutal but short duration.
sloosh

Postby Alan S » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:23 pm

Hi steve
Best of luck on your challenge,hope it all goes well

Alan
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby stevemitch53 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:01 am

Hi guys,
Thanks for the good wishes
And thanks for your concern sloosh, but I've always had a reasonable fitness level before the illlness and the training's going well. My dog and I are already up to about 40 miles a week.
If I'm honest this challenge is as much for me as it is Cancer Research, organizing everything is giving me something to focus on to take my mind off everything else. And to answer your question, the all clear is a very long way off yet, but we seem to be getting off the core subject.
The JOGLE. Wer'e in the process of building a website with all the details so if anyone wants to follow, support, donate or even join us for certain stages. All the Details will be there and I'll put info on that on the WALKS forum.
stevemitch53
Scrambler

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:20 am

Good luck Steve. Have you decided what routes you'll be taking?
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby sloosh » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:13 am

You seem to know what you're doing, so good luck! :thumbup: What a mammoth organisational endeavour! How on earth do you go about planning such a task?
sloosh

Postby stevemitch53 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:39 pm

Thanks Paul

We're currently at the researching stage. We're taking on board the routes three other independent travellers have done and tweaking as and when to suit us. Nothings definate yet, only that we want to take in as many LDP's as possible.
So far we have parts of 12 Long Distance Paths lined up, from the West Highland Way to the South West Coast Path. In total about 1080miles over 10 12 weeks averaging 16/17 miles a day :crazy: , with 1 rest day a week built in. I can't wait, what an experience of a life-time.
We'll be boring people in the pub for years to come with tales of our adventure. :D
stevemitch53
Scrambler

Postby RadMan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:11 pm

sounds like it will be some trip, all the best and good luck! :D

P.S Take lots of pics and get them posted up on here.
RadMan
Munro compleatist

Munros:153   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...