walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hello all

Hello all

Postby martyn » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:14 pm

Just a quick hello to my fellow amblers. My name is Martyn, originally from Tyneside but now living and working in Kent - actually Whitstable, which is a really good place to live (until, that is, I can retire to NW Scotland).
I rediscovered Skye, after 30 years, in 2005, driving up on an impulse after a long stint working in Sri Lanka. Turned the corner on the road above Elgol and the view over to Eigg, Rum and the outer islands just unfolded before me, bathed in sunshine. Magical. I was instantly smitten and have been back three times a year ever since.
Excellent site, Paul. Have found the route descriptions reassuringly accurate - important since I'm predominantly a solo walker (though one son occasionally tags along).
Not a Munro-bagger (too late to start now) but am hoping to gradually collect all the Cuillin Munros, although Gillean, Am Bhasteir and the In Pin may require artificial aids - like a guide. But my main pleasure is just being out in the hills, soaking up the views and the solitude.
I've had a look further north and quite like what I've seen around Torridon and Assynt - I'd welcome suggestions about some of the walking gems to try out.
martyn
Munro compleatist

Re: Hello all

Postby canisp » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:02 am

Hi martyn, and welcome to walkhighlands.

martyn wrote:Turned the corner on the road above Elgol and the view over to Eigg, Rum and the outer islands just unfolded before me, bathed in sunshine. Magical.

Magical 8) , that’s a word i’ve often used to describe Skye, there’s just nowhere else to match it.

Regards steve
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Postby maddjock » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:01 am

hey martyn, welcome to the site... yeah the North west of Scotland is IMO the most beautiful part of Scotland. A couple of nice non-munro walks here I would recommend would be Ben Loyal and Ben Stack. I dont think its ever too late to start 'bagging' munros btw. :D
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Postby martyn » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:25 pm

Thanks both.

......in just 6 days I'll be back on Skye for a week!

Sgurr na Banachdich is beckoning, if the weather stays reasonable.
Thanks for the suggestions about both Bens Stack and Loyal - very enticing prospects for next summer.
When I say it's too late for Munro-bagging, I mean I'm not planning to collect the lot as a "project"........but I'll wander up all I can in the pursuit of pleasure!
Whatever you're planning next, gents, enjoy - and post photos (which I have yet to crack - still working out how to transfer all my photos from my old steam-driven computer on to this new shiny piece of kit)

Martyn
martyn
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...