walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Newbie.

Newbie.

Postby willsdad » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:35 pm

Hi all.
Joined as part of my preparation for a second attempt at the Cape Wrath Trail.
2014 was my first epic fail. Naive ex squaddie who thought he could chuck everything he could possibly need into a plc bergan and crack on.
MUPPET :clap:
27kg is apparently too much for a thirty something overweight dreamer.
Anyway I learnt my lesson and have since been researching, accumulating and preparing. 2016 will be the year and I will be the much lighter MUPPET hitting the trail.
So I thought I'd join up and soak up all the hints and tips available.
Also if anyone wants to know how NOT to attempt it, I'm your man.
willsdad
Backpacker

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6

Re: Newbie.

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:50 pm

willsdad wrote:Hi all.
Joined as part of my preparation for a second attempt at the Cape Wrath Trail.
2014 was my first epic fail. Naive ex squaddie who thought he could chuck everything he could possibly need into a plc bergan and crack on.
MUPPET :clap:
27kg is apparently too much for a thirty something overweight dreamer.
Anyway I learnt my lesson and have since been researching, accumulating and preparing. 2016 will be the year and I will be the much lighter MUPPET hitting the trail.
So I thought I'd join up and soak up all the hints and tips available.
Also if anyone wants to know how NOT to attempt it, I'm your man.

Hi there willsdad, know what you mean about heavy backpacks, 24kg is far too heavy for Knoydart let alone the Cape Wrath Trail, I just wonder how far you went with that load? I'm still trying to get below 20kg but hoping to target the more reasonable 15kg for the Trotternish Ridge. Hope your finding some useful info on WH and all the best for your future attempts.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Newbie.

Postby willsdad » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:13 pm

Hi Rodmeister.
I knew pretty much straight away I'd bitten off more than I could chew. I made it to Sourlies and took the decision to head back to Glenfinnan before I got too remote.
That night in Sourlies bothy (just me and the mouse trying to get into my pack) was worth the pain. Utterly stunning and the main reason I want a second crack at it.
I was on a tight budget and a tight schedule. Silly really as the whole idea is to enjoy the scenery and experience.
May 2016 can't come soon enough now.
willsdad
Backpacker

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...