walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hello & Advice

Hello & Advice

Postby appalachiantrail » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:07 pm

Hello

First of all I'd like to commend all of you for this website. It is truly amazing. So much information at a high level . So much detailed information as well.
I live in Prince Edward Island, Canada but have hiked (non technical) extensively in the White Mountains of New Hampshire USA. Although I'm approaching 6 decades, I feel that I'm capable of some serious hiking.
I will be vacationing on the Isle of Skye in September/October '09 and would like some advice. Primarily, I'm looking for great views. Given that I would like to get some day hikes in, what would you suggest?
Sunshine would also be appreciated.

Thank you.
appalachiantrail

Re: Hello & Advice

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:49 pm

Hi and welcome to the Forum! - and thanks for your kind comments :oops:

It's a bit tricky to know what sort of difficulty of walk would suit you. Are you wanting to climb the mountains? I think a big difference from hiking in the US or Canada is that the walking routes on Skye are not waymarked or signed, or even maintained apart from a very few, so you may find that more navigation is required than back home.

You'll get great views all over Skye - if you are lucky with the weather! - with any sunshine, the views across the sea to the mainland or to other islands are superb. Two extremely popular routes - but well worth doing - are the Quiraing and the Storr in Trotternish; another personal favourite is Rubha Hunish which is near those two.

If you are wanting to ascend some of the Cuillin - Skye's biggest mountains - these are very steep and rocky. The easiest of the Cuillin to climb are Bruach na Frithe, Sgurr na Banachdich and Bla Bheinn. If you want to do something harder or are unsure of your abilities, there are quite alot of local mountain guides. If you found those peaks very easy then you'll be happy to try some harder ones!

All these routes - and the mountain guides - are available on the Skye section of the site.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Re: Hello & Advice

Postby Myth » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:48 am

I hope you'll get good weather, but I'm sure you'll enjoy Skye!

I'd agree that Bla Bheinn (Blaven) is a sound idea for a starting point on Skye - it's relatively uncomplicated, and the views in sunshine will render you speachless...

It's also leave you either wanting more, of which there are plenty in the Red Cuillin within sight, or possibly leave you wanting to try a "softer" hill, of which there are loads close by on the mainland.

Take care!
Myth

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...