walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

A Belgian is willing to try

A Belgian is willing to try

Postby svennijs » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:27 am

Hi everyone,

My name is Sven and I'm from Belgium. My girlfriend will leave on a business trip mid September and I figured that doing a trek on my own in some beautiful country while she's away would do me a lot of good. So after considering my options, I decided to give The Highlands a try. Never been in Scotland.
I've been surfing quite a lot on this website and I'm amazed by the amount of tracks and the detailed descriptions. Got my Garmin GPS to upload the info and I'm leaving for the Isle of Skye on September 11 for a week. But I still did not figure out yet which tracks to follow. I will consult this forum and ask questions regarding some tracks I saw on this website.

Can't wait to get there !

Have a nice day

Sven
svennijs
Mountaineer

Re: A Belgian is willing to try

Postby Scotjamie » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:34 pm

Hi svennijs. I will welcome you to the site, but leave advive about Skye to others on the site that are more experienced in that area. (Worth you trying to explain how much experience you have of walking when you post a question about routes)
good luck
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby mountain coward » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:57 am

Yeah agree with Scotjamie on that one - definitely give us an idea of your previous experience - that way you will get much better suggestions. Welcome to the site :D
mountain coward

Postby svennijs » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:49 am

Well, I only tried to summit the Aconcagua in Argentina in 2007 via the normal route (22835 ft. (6960 m)). We got stuck for two days in the last high altitude camp at 6000 due to a snow storm. Apart from that, I've no experience with trekking in the mountains. I won't give any advice on this website knowing most of you out there are experienced mountaineers. I'll leave the advice up to you.

Thanks
svennijs
Mountaineer

Postby mountain coward » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:55 pm

To be honest, Aconcagua is well above my standard so it sounds like you're better at mountaineering than me! :D
mountain coward

Postby tilley hemp th5 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:42 pm

hi, there are some great guides on skye who can take you to all the tops (some need ropes and a little climbing).
i did this some 11 years ago in september and was lucky with good weather.
be sure to do The Inaccessible Pinnacle, which i found the highlight of the trip....i dont really climb so this was a really big achievement for me.
compass does not work on the rock on the Cuillins so a local guide is invaluable if weather gets bad.
dont know much about the gps systems, perhaps someone else here may have experience of that.
rock here can get very slippy so take care to choose the right soles for your boots. cameron mcneish (tgo magazine) recommended solomon boots at the time i did this. i rang him at his office...very helpful man !!!!!!!!
you are in for a great experience...in my opinion the best hill walking (scrambling) in scotland.

regards

lived many years in Tervuren Bussels near the african museum ...loved the belgian beer !!!!!!
tilley hemp th5
Mountaineer

Munros:51   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...